New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
For the record, this forum is a great place and full of decent men who treat each other amazingly respectfully, given this is the internet. I mentioned for fun a few of our members in my opening post - each of whom are positive role models for pipe smokers. I hope I am clear in my intent. I certainly don’t wish to imbue any negativity on any forum members or the forum itself. My question is a serious one, humor is Important to any conversation.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Finally, many have been run off due to private messages that are less than...dare I say it...gentlemanly.
That is what I've seen far too often to be honest. The stuff on the surface only adds to the pile of shit. I've gotten enough pm explaining the reason for not staying on other forums. I guess I'll just put this out there, anyone doing unwanted sneaky messaging is not only being a bit of a bore but also damaging the vitality of pipe smoking. No they're not ruining it, but weakening it and making it more vulnerable to other threats. For example if more people took up pipe smoking it would be harder to lump it in with the same legislation that we're all worried about now.

Why the hell do you guys think there aren’t girls here?
Just because they don’t have booby pics in their avatar or have a forum name like “Alice” doesn’t mean that a few of these ambiguous avatars and androgynous screen nakes aren’t female. I happen to know that two long time members with androgynous profiles are girls, and I chuckle when I see them post a masculine comment, knowing they’re jerking some chains, ha ha. But, someone sees a turtle or a plant in a profile and assume it’s a guy, because it’s a gender role thing.

I was at a seminar where a writer read, “the old man hobbled down the railroad tracks.” Then he asked is what color the old man was. Discussion spun about, and we learned that unless we are told specifically, we assume the characters are like us…. Usually white, male, in the 50’s-60’s. We just assume this.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Just because they don’t have booby pics in their avatar or have a forum name like “Alice” doesn’t mean that a few of these ambiguous avatars and androgynous screen nakes aren’t female. I happen to know that two long time members with androgynous profiles are girls, and I chuckle when I see them post a masculine comment, knowing they’re jerking some chains, ha ha. But, someone sees a turtle or a plant in a profile and assume it’s a guy, because it’s a gender role thing.

I was at a seminar where a writer read, “the old man hobbled down the railroad tracks.” Then he asked is what color the old man was. Discussion spun about, and we learned that unless we are told specifically, we assume the characters are like us…. Usually white, male, in the 50’s-60’s. We just assume this.
So it still stands why of all things would that be secret?

Reactions: telescopes
Do they stay and shoot breeze with fellas? Or they leave? Maybe they just don't care for the topics being discussed.
I never saw a woman come in and set down and smoke a pipe in the lounge. Hell, I barely feel safe and secure among the lounge lizards. I don’t think many women would want to hang out and smoke with a bunch old men talking about who can piss the furthest.

telescopes

I never saw a woman come in and set down and smoke a pipe in the lounge. Hell, I barely feel safe and secure among the lounge lizards. I don’t think many women would want to hang out and smoke with a bunch old men talking about who can piss the furthest.
I dont think they would mind or do mind the pissing contest talk. I think it is the unwanted objectification they prefer not to be chained to that recoils them from joining the group in larger numbers.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana

Yes. I’m guilty. And now I’m wondering how many times my chain was yanked! ?
I usually assume that a member with a non-gendered username is male unless I see them post to the contrary. Mea culpa.

Aug 1, 2012
I dont think they would mind or do mind the pissing contest talk. I think it is the unwanted objectification they prefer not to be chained to that recoils them from joining the group in larger numbers.
Just look at the responses to @Cigar Ash Queen in the Dunhill mini churchwarden thread. Not calling you out. (heck, I can't even remember if you responded to those posts) as it is many who responded. Many just want to call out looks..

telescopes

Just look at the responses to @Cigar Ash Queen in the Dunhill mini churchwarden thread. Not calling you out. (heck, I can't even remember if you responded to those posts) as it is many who responded. Many just want to call out looks..
That thread is what initiated some of my thoughts. Nah, I didn’t respond on that thread. But I noticed a certain theme to some of the responses.

telescopes

One of the joys of this site is how devoid it is if politics and devisive non pipe smoking opinions. It is a rarity in the world of Internet forums and something that enhances why we are here in the first place. For the most part, I enjoy reading the many posts that are here and learning about the people behind them.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
From my understandings, this is the largest Pipe Smoking Forum in the world. Next, some of the biggest names in business support and sponsor the forum.

Professionally speaking, on several levels, it just seems like it’s in the best interest of these businesses to get the women who work and smoke at these companies to come here, show support, of course for their businesses and women pipe smokers.

Kathleen Kelley of Cup O Joes is a pipe smoker, is she here?

SPC has no female smoking staff? If so, are they here?

Boswell’s, I thought one of the daughters smoked, is she here?

So where are all these companies and many more like them, with their female smoking staff supporting this?

All the female smoking staff in the pipe businesses of the world, it makes sense to be here, supporting the hobby, growing it for female smokers and the profession.

@admin Kevin Hmm ?

Last edited:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Pipe smoking. Of all of the things in this world that are male dominated, pipe smoking might take the crown. Why?

In my 40 odd years smoking a pipe, I have never met a serious pipe smoker who is a women. Yes, I have met women who smoked a pipe from time to time, but never recreationally and never in a manner that it added to their identity.

Why? I am sure there are many reasons why, but I wonder if one of them might be that it is a club with an identity and breaking into that club is harder than we imagine.

When a male pipe smoker posts something, it is literally quite unheard of to find someone posting on their physical appearance or various parts of their body. For instance, I have yet to read where someone has replied to @cosmicfolklore , "Hey, I like that billiard you are smoking, and by the way, I really dig how you brushed your hair. Do you always wear it that way?"

Similarly, I can't imagine someone replying to a post by @LotusEater , "Yeh, I dig the way you make sitting in a car smoking a pipe look so attractive. Do you always wear your beard that way?"

Okay, you get the point. Pipe smoking is by all stretches a male club. Yes, pipe smokers can jest quite a bit with each other - but rarely are solicitous commits offered on the appearance of the smoker or is there a sexualization of the smoker's appearance.

The bottom line is that increasing the number of women who smoke pipes, post about smoking a pipe, and feel comfortable posting about smoking a pipe with men who have way tooooo much time on their hands.... should be something we all applaud and support.

But what are your thoughts.

Women? Pipe Smoking.

Pipe smoking with women who are pipe smoking....
Gee, I dunno...

New Unsmoked Longchamp Pipes... :: Pipe Talk :: Pipe Smokers Forums of PipesMagazine.com

May 16, 2021
Manitoba Canada
In general, forums are male dominated.
Even forums related to topics that are completely gender neutral are mostly inhabited by males and people that don't give any indication about their gender.
There are likely several female members registered to the forum, they just choose to keep a low profile.

Reactions: captainsousie