Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Pipe smoking. Of all of the things in this world that are male dominated, pipe smoking might take the crown. Why?

In my 40 odd years smoking a pipe, I have never met a serious pipe smoker who is a women. Yes, I have met women who smoked a pipe from time to time, but never recreationally and never in a manner that it added to their identity.

Why? I am sure there are many reasons why, but I wonder if one of them might be that it is a club with an identity and breaking into that club is harder than we imagine.

When a male pipe smoker posts something, it is literally quite unheard of to find someone posting on their physical appearance or various parts of their body. For instance, I have yet to read where someone has replied to @cosmicfolklore , "Hey, I like that billiard you are smoking, and by the way, I really dig how you brushed your hair. Do you always wear it that way?"

Similarly, I can't imagine someone replying to a post by @LotusEater , "Yeh, I dig the way you make sitting in a car smoking a pipe look so attractive. Do you always wear your beard that way?"

Okay, you get the point. Pipe smoking is by all stretches a male club. Yes, pipe smokers can jest quite a bit with each other - but rarely are solicitous commits offered on the appearance of the smoker or is there a sexualization of the smoker's appearance.

The bottom line is that increasing the number of women who smoke pipes, post about smoking a pipe, and feel comfortable posting about smoking a pipe with men who have way tooooo much time on their hands.... should be something we all applaud and support.

But what are your thoughts.

Women? Pipe Smoking.

Pipe smoking with women who are pipe smoking....

Pipe smoking. Of all of the things in this world that are male dominated, pipe smoking might take the crown. Why?

In my 40 odd years smoking a pipe, I have never met a serious pipe smoker who is a women. Yes, I have met women who smoked a pipe from time to time, but never recreationally and never in a manner that it added to their identity.

Why? I am sure there are many reasons why, but I wonder if one of them might be that it is a club with an identity and breaking into that club is harder than we imagine.

When a male pipe smoker posts something, it is literally quite unheard of to find someone posting on their physical appearance or various parts of their body. For instance, I have yet to read where someone has replied to @cosmicfolklore , "Hey, I like that billiard you are smoking, and by the way, I really dig how you brushed your hair. Do you always wear it that way?"

Similarly, I can't imagine someone replying to a post by @LotusEater , "Yeh, I dig the way you make sitting in a car smoking a pipe look so attractive. Do you always wear your beard that way?"

Okay, you get the point. Pipe smoking is by all stretches a male club. Yes, pipe smokers can jest quite a bit with each other - but rarely are solicitous commits offered on the appearance of the smoker or is there a sexualization of the smoker's appearance.

The bottom line is that increasing the number of women who smoke pipes, post about smoking a pipe, and feel comfortable posting about smoking a pipe with men who have way tooooo much time on their hands.... should be something we all applaud and support.

Women? Pipe Smoking.

Well, hell Telescope, you must have not been here for my pipesmoking in the pool pictures. One of the reasons guys give me such a hard time on here is because they’re jealous of how beautiful I am. puffy

I asked Skip at the Briary one day, “ how many pipesmoking women do you see come in here?”
He said, “not a single one.”
He was at that very minute ringing up two women buying pipe tobacco. And, one more came in to buy bulk tobacco.
I said, “ you sure about that?”
I think women pipesmokers are just invisible to us. Thoughts like, ‘they’re buying that for their husband or a gift for dad.’ But, I’ve seen plenty of women in my days of being a lounge lizard at The Briary come in and buy tobacco or a pipe occasionally.

telescopes

Heterosexual male might not. But homosexual male might (along with other sexual orientations and more). I mean, complement other male's smoking style. I mean, this is all inclusive forum, like boy scouts, right?

Women smokers are cool.
Boyscouts…. That gave me a great laugh.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
For instance, I have yet to read where someone has replied to @cosmicfolklore , "Hey, I like that billiard you are smoking, and by the way, I really dig how you brushed your hair. Do you always wear it that way?"
That’s because half of us mofos ain’t got hair. ? Myself included!

As for women pipe smokers, and in particular, forum members, I’d like to see more join. I’ve seen a few on here. They do seem to come and go, though. I’d like to think we don’t run them off. I’d hate it if I knew I had any part in making anyone feel uncomfortable to be here, male or female. I admire the ladies that stick around and are willing to put up with us, even if it’s just for a while. In general though, I think it’s just a habit that draws more men than women, hence the one-sidedness here. ?‍♂️

telescopes

Well, hell Telescope, you must have not been here for my pipesmoking in the pool pictures. One of the reasons guys give me such a hard time on here is because they’re jealous of how beautiful I am. puffy

I asked Skip at the Briary one day, “ how many pipesmoking women do you see come in here?”
He was at that very minute ringing up two women buying pipe tobacco. And, one more came in to buy bulk tobacco.
I think women pipesmokers are just invisible to us. Thoughts like, ‘they’re buying that for their husband or a gift for dad.’ But, I’ve seen plenty of women in my days of being a lounge lizard at The Briary come in and buy tobacco or a pipe occasionally.
I suspect you may be right but why won’t they make themselves known?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA

Do they stay and shoot breeze with fellas? Or they leave? Maybe they just don't care for the topics being discussed.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
My wife enjoys a cigarillo when I have my weekly pipe, and occasionally will sample a puff or two of what I'm smoking. She likes it alright, but deems the entire piping "process" a drag (I believe her exact words for it were "a rigamarole"), and far too involved for her liking. The OP has me thinking about this now: I wonder how many other women are likewise put off by the elaborate nature of the process, and might in fact be into it otherwise. Would more women smoke pipes if it was all loaded up and ready to go for them, obviating the need to concern themselves with all the steps of "the ritual?" Just a thought. By the way, I'm sure there are no shortage of men on this forum who would gladly fill this role for a lady, especially if it meant they might have a mortise for their tenon afterward...

Sorry. Couldn't resist. ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Women? Pipe Smoking.

I think there is a certain amount of hold of certain people against woman smoking. I personally avoided pipe forums for a long time because until here I'd always run across gate keepers who would tell us who should and shouldn't smoke a pipe. You know the kind of guy that says if you don't have a willy and don't smoke latakia you're not a real pipe smoker. I also think that most of the girls I've known who smoke pipes for whatever reason mostly keep it to themselves. I assume there are a variety of social pressure and b.s. behind that. But it's just an assumption so don't take it to the bank.
Interestingly I have gotten a few comments recently about how attractive the way I smoke a pipe is. My reaction was polite confusion by the way.
Also it's kind of tricky breaking into pipes. One often either chugs through it burning their tongue and proving their persistence or has some type of mentor to at the least watch. Add to the fact smoking was considered a male thing for a long time and pipe smoking in many ways is still more of an echo of times past.
I think we need a broader demographic make up to keep pipe smoking active. So I think we need woman smoking and visibly so. Otherwise before too long the money will dry up.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My wife enjoys a cigarillo when I have my weekly pipe, and occasionally will sample a puff or two of what I'm smoking. She likes it alright, but deems the entire piping "process" a drag (I believe her exact words for it were "a rigamarole"), and far too involved for her liking. The OP has me thinking about this now: I wonder how many other women are likewise put off by the elaborate nature of the process, and might in fact be into it otherwise. Would more women smoke pipes if it was all loaded up and ready to go for them, obviating the need to concern themselves with all the steps of "the ritual?" Just a thought. By the way, I'm sure there are no shortage of men on this forum who would gladly fill this role for a lady, especially if it meant they might have a mortise for their tenon afterward...

Sorry. Couldn't resist. ?
I think that says a lot at the end. The guys who helped me along with pipe smoking didn't ever have an agenda beyond sharing the joy of pipes. If they did that might have made the whole experience that much more tedious.

Reactions: telescopes
Aug 1, 2012
This is a debate on every forum that is "male dominated" that I have seen. Bass players. Tuba players. LS engines. Weaving...oh wait that was only male dominated until the 19th century.

Most of the time we males can be hostile in ways that we do not necessarily realize. (Complimenting looks rather than knowledge or, in this case pipes specifically with a direct reference to the gender of the smoker.) Make fun as you wish but often we don't realize how our "compliments" come across.

Finally, many have been run off due to private messages that are less than...dare I say it...gentlemanly.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
This is a debate on every forum that is "male dominated" that I have seen. Bass players. Tuba players. LS engines. Weaving...oh wait that was only male dominated until the 19th century.

Most of the time we males can be hostile in ways that we do not necessarily realize. (Complimenting looks rather than knowledge or, in this case pipes specifically with a direct reference to the gender of the smoker.) Make fun as you wish but often we don't realize how our "compliments" come across.

Finally, many have been run off due to private messages that are less than...dare I say it...gentlemanly.
You just gave me a great idea for a Craigslist ad: Bass player wanted (no tubas!) :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon