PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I’ve smoked pipes off and on for about 49 years. I smoke outdoors only for several reasons, including limiting the amount inhaled, which isn’t possible smoking indoors.
I’d have to say I’m a heavy smoker, at 3 to 4 bowls a day, on average.
Just had my yearly physical, and while I have a couple of issues, my results are generally excellent and my lungs are clear.
Smoking is not a healthy habit and I accept that.
Smoking will play merry hell with your gums, so be proactive with mouth care.
Not a criticism, but I'm surprised you smoke that much. A disciplined sort such as yourself would be a bowl or two a week man. But then again maybe you allocated that discipline into the pipes and blends you smoke, and the way you smoke them.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not a criticism, but I'm surprised you smoke that much. A disciplined sort such as yourself would be a bowl or two a week man. But then again maybe you allocated that discipline into the pipes and blends you smoke, and the way you smoke them.
I used to smoke 8 bowls a day. It varies. Some days I smoke 1 bowl a day, some days none.
I’m not sure that there is a direct correlation between being disciplined and bowl count. I am strictly an outdoor smoker. If there isn’t an outdoor option I don’t smoke, with the exception of pipe shows.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I have no known health problems from tobacco, and I’ve used it nonstop since I was 14. Granted, I’m only 32. So KNOCK ON WOOD. I think that pipe smoking will be way more unforgiving on your teeth than it will your lungs. I happen to use chewing tobacco quite a bit the last few years, when I don’t feel like having a pipe. If anything is going to bite my ass, I think it’s going to be losing a tooth before losing a lung.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Let's see, 53, 5'7", 178. Pretty physically active with walking, hiking, biking and martial arts, although I could probably lose 10 lbs.

Been smoking a pipe probably 5-6 years now. Never smoked anything before that. I don't inhale, and I smoke 1-2 pipes a week. As I looked into the health risks before I took up the pipe, I believe that my light pipe smoking habits bring with them a statistically tiny increased health risk.

The TAD, as mentioned, is another issue! At the rate I smoke, I probably have enough tobacco now in jars to last me until about age 127.

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
42 years old. 6'1, 210. Started at 18 to kick cigarettes, which I did on and off from about 13 to 25ish. Used to do cigars, too. It didn't work because I only piped until about 20. Only started heavily smoking pipes again about 2.5 years ago when I got married and wife gave me the okay.

I smoke several bowls a day, could be 4-6, sometimes more, sometimes less. I NEVER inhale...if I accidentally inhale, I instantly have a choke/sneeze reaction. It's been so long since I was a cigarette smoker that my lungs don't remember inhaling, and don't want it. Also, I generally smoke mild blends. I can handle the stronger stuff, but generally just don't like it.

As for health problems, I did have some issues in the last year and a half, but that was A.) COVID, twice, and possibly even pneumonia the second time, and B.) I am allergic to cats, and live with two of them (I love them too much), and terrible pollen allergies. Some days I wheeze and have breathing issues, but there are several other environmental factors.

Some times I wonder if I'm smoking too much, but I know some folks do it way more with no ill effects. The relaxation it has for me outweighs the negatives, at least at this stage in my life. If I smoke indoors, it's with a wide up window and a fan, and we have an air purifier.

For those who only smoke one bowl a week or so, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Let's see, 53, 5'7", 178. Pretty physically active with walking, hiking, biking and martial arts, although I could probably lose 10 lbs.

Been smoking a pipe probably 5-6 years now. Never smoked anything before that. I don't inhale, and I smoke 1-2 pipes a week. As I looked into the health risks before I took up the pipe, I believe that my light pipe smoking habits bring with them a statistically tiny increased health risk.

The TAD, as mentioned, is another issue! At the rate I smoke, I probably have enough tobacco now in jars to last me until about age 127.
Right! I wish I had more time to have a bowl. I’ve got numerous blends I haven’t even tried yet due to time constraints yet I keep buying a ounce here and a tin there thinking “Oh! That looks good! I better try some!”

C

Corcoran-Rooney

6.5' 224lbs, 44 years old. No known heath problems, swim and/or lift weights every second day. Smoke one bowl a day, at the moment (I could smoke a hell of a lot more). I used to smoke five or so cigarrettes a day, and I could feel that it had an impact on my physical fitness. Now I no longer inhale any smoke, I find that when I swim I can go further for longer. That said, I feel that if I quit smoking entirely, I would further improve. But fuck it, I enjoy it too much at the moment, and for now I am satisfied to have kicked the coffin nails.

Mar 29, 2016
In my 50's still training and watching my diet. Average of 50 cigars and less than a pound of pipe tobacco a year, not inhaling of course. Never smoked cigarettes or chewed tobacco and keeping my alcohol and sugar intake minimal. I' m an outdoor smoker also.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Late 30's. I smoke my pipe often but not 'all day' (or not all day, every day haha). I have some serious health issues that cropped up well before my 3years of smoking a pipe...most stem around high blood pressure/heart stuff. Smoking a pipe doesn't seem to have an effect -laying off white flour, sugar, getting exercise, getting sleep, taking my meds (!!!) and maintaining a low stress level sure seem to, though. I take my BP all the time. I told my cardiologist I like to smoke a pipe ...he rolled his eyes a bit and moved on. Mouthwise -if my mouth feels beat up, I take a break...smoking slow/cool pretty much takes this out of the equation totally. ...still, I am not pretending pipe smoking is healthy...it just doesn't seem to be much of a cause for concern for me at this point.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
5'6" 135 pounds
Very active, work out 3 days a week, have outdoor hobbies
1-3 bowls a day
Piping 10 years
32 years old
No cigarettes ever

I have noticed no negative health effects. My lung capacity is great, no phlem or coughing when I wake up, no problems with teeth or gums. There is a small noticable "notch" worn into my bicuspid where I clench.