Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jun 23, 2019
This is my summer of trying fruit forward blends. 'Figured I'd venture into unknown territory...shake things up a bit.
I'm looking for recommendations, not necessarily cherry blends, but anything fruity..

I've purchased several ounces each thus far of:
P. Stokkebye Peaches and Cream
PS Optimum
Sutliff Black Cherry
C&D Dark Cherry Cavendish
Super Value Cherry Cavendish

I'm trying them all in briars, cobs and clays and finding interesting variations in flavor, but overall I've found that the 'pouch aroma' doesn't quite match up to the taste. Sometimes I can't even taste the fruit.

So, I'd love to hear what fruit forward blends you all enjoy. I've a couple more months of this fruity endeavor, then it's back to English and Balkans.

That's often the case with "lesser" aromatics: the topping is very heavy on the nose but the flavor is quite light.

Some of my favorite have already been mentioned but I'll echo them again:

Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday
Solani Tropical Mango (personal favorite)

and would like to add Gawith does a decent casing, their American Cherry and Kentucky Nougat I really enjoy and find the flavor to match the nose in both flavor and depth.

I really enjoy my aromatics in corn cobs or meerschaums - feels like there's more of a "transparency" in flavor with them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The only fruit blend I can recall smoking much or enjoying was mentioned by Tar Wheel, the ripe marula fruit blend. The actual fruit ferments and is eaten by elephants, who then become intoxicated. How can a huge animal become drunk eating a few pounds of fermented fruit? Probably because they don't "drink" much and are susceptible. In aromatics, I tend toward vanilla and whiskey, rum, liqueurs. Cherry tends to tweak my gag reflex. Then there's plum, if that's what it is, in Royal Yacht, which I enjoy because the blend is very tobacco forward.

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
That's often the case with "lesser" aromatics: the topping is very heavy on the nose but the flavor is quite light.

Some of my favorite have already been mentioned but I'll echo them again:

Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday
Solani Tropical Mango (personal favorite)

and would like to add Gawith does a decent casing, their American Cherry and Kentucky Nougat I really enjoy and find the flavor to match the nose in both flavor and depth.

I really enjoy my aromatics in corn cobs or meerschaums - feels like there's more of a "transparency" in flavor with them.
Awesome, thank you!

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
The only fruit blend I can recall smoking much or enjoying was mentioned by Tar Wheel, the ripe marula fruit blend. The actual fruit ferments and is eaten by elephants, who then become intoxicated. How can a huge animal become drunk eating a few pounds of fermented fruit? Probably because they don't "drink" much and are susceptible. In aromatics, I tend toward vanilla and whiskey, rum, liqueurs. Cherry tends to tweak my gag reflex. Then there's plum, if that's what it is, in Royal Yacht, which I enjoy because the blend is very tobacco forward.
Member recommended and elephant recommended....
That's on my 'gotta try list' now

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve heard that the intoxicated elephants were a fabrication for an animal documentary in the 70s, but I prefer to imagine drunk elephants. ?
It’s a much better story.

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
Dorchester from esoterica is not an aromatic technically, i think, but its got an apricot topping and the jar hits u in the face with fermenting fruit when you open it or smoke it.

Reactions: Tar Wheel

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
Dorchester from esoterica is not an aromatic technically, i think, but its got an apricot topping and the jar hits u in the face with fermenting fruit when you open it or smoke it.
I remember that blend. I had gone through much of Esoterica's blends back in the 90s. Not really my taste but I appreciate the recommendation

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
Well alright ... Order placed for:
C&D Founding Father, Berry Good, Apricots and Cream.
Solani Mango.

Couldn't find the Rattrays in stock...
Nor the Cephalis... syphilis... whatever.
Devil's Holiday will have to wait for when I order through Boswell's.

Now, I'll just go sit by my mailbox and wait....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know about the fabrication on the drunk elephants. I've seen the video, and the elephants were staggering and falling down, and it was a random group, not like they'd been shot with a tranquilizer gun. Other animals are known to get high on fermented fruit, like many bird species and some other mammals. If the elephant binge has been debunked, I'd take a telling, but it is not impossible.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I don't know about the fabrication on the drunk elephants. I've seen the video, and the elephants were staggering and falling down, and it was a random group, not like they'd been shot with a tranquilizer gun. Other animals are known to get high on fermented fruit, like many bird species and some other mammals. If the elephant binge has been debunked, I'd take a telling, but it is not impossible.
Good! I’d like to think it’s true. The image of a herd of drunken pachyderms makes me happy inside! Not sure what that says about me… ?
That one doesn't appear to be available in the US anymore.
That’s too bad. It was one of my favorite aromatics. Probably not a big seller though.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Mac Baren The Cube. It commands a premium price at retail and seems to be a true smorgasbord of a blend: Cavendish, Virginias, Kentucky and burley, and cased or topped with a bunch of fruit flavors and vanilla. I enjoy it once in a while, but it's packaged only in a 1lb bag in the US for nearly $70.

Reactions: Bluemonter