PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
This is my summer of trying fruit forward blends. 'Figured I'd venture into unknown territory...shake things up a bit.
I'm looking for recommendations, not necessarily cherry blends, but anything fruity..

I've purchased several ounces each thus far of:
P. Stokkebye Peaches and Cream
PS Optimum
Sutliff Black Cherry
C&D Dark Cherry Cavendish
Super Value Cherry Cavendish

I'm trying them all in briars, cobs and clays and finding interesting variations in flavor, but overall I've found that the 'pouch aroma' doesn't quite match up to the taste. Sometimes I can't even taste the fruit.

So, I'd love to hear what fruit forward blends you all enjoy. I've a couple more months of this fruity endeavor, then it's back to English and Balkans.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Lane Black Raspberry -- yep.. I am guilty of liking this blend.
Tobacco Galleria Night Cap has some fruity thing going on.
Dan Sweet Vanilla Honeydew could be maybe seen as fruity, and is a favorite of mine.
Erinmore
Firedance
Boswell Berry Cobbler
Ashton Guilty Pleasure

That is the extent of my fruit experience.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday tastes like smoking a fruit pie.

Rattrays Exotic Passion is fantastically fruity with lots of other flavors. It can ghost a pipe if you worry about that sort of thing. I don't but I also don't chain smoke it in the same pipe.

My favorite tobacco with fruit though is Capstan Gold Flake. This is just a wonderful VA with great sweetness and a nice fruit component.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
Rattarys exotic orange now called exotic passion is pretty good.
I actually find this blend disgusting, tastes like a tropical potpourri candle, but I think it's a good recommendation as clearly some people like it and the flavor is definitely forward.

Edit: forgot my recommendations: SG Firedance Flake is a great Virginia (Best Brown Flake) with blackberry flavor.
4noggins Lord Methley's is good but a little more synthetic berry pie flavor, Virginia/burley/Cavendish.
Gawith Hoggarth Top Black Cherry has a nice, tart cherry flavor as opposed to the cough syrup some blends give.

Last edited:

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Dan devil's holiday is a great aromatic

Lots of folks love Rattray Exotic passion but, for me, it was nauseating and cloying. However, if you can find it you ought to try it as it might be great for you. Same goes for visions of celephais which I found to be capt black grape for sophisticates.

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
I had chosen my small list of blends from the tobacco reviews site, rather randomly. I'll look into what you guys have suggested. There's some interesting ones in there.

My normal summer go-tos are Virginias and VA/Per based. A few of the blends in my list have been eye openers.

The Sutliff Black Raspberry (which I forgot to list) was the strangest blend yet. The initial raspberry hit morphs into a perfume/incense thing.... Very weird.
After smoking this blend, I usually reset my palette with The Virginia Cream.
Mmm, tasty...

No Mac Barens thus far... Interesting.
At some point I was considering Cherry Ambrosia. Then I realized I was mired in cherry blends and needed to diversify.

This is an interesting and fun adventure.
Every now and then it pays to break out of that comfort zone.

Reactions: Tar Wheel