PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I have a a few Oz of black stagg. Which is my BM version of Q1. I usually give a few pipe fulls away to my brother in law when he comes to loose his money at Cards. I wish it tasted as good as it smells.

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
I bought 2 oz of 1-Q because I'm new and they say it's The Quintessential Aro and I had to try it. It's not bad and I've smoked most all of it but Eh. I think I will stick more with non-aro blends, although I do have a tin of Blood Red Moon waiting until I've grown up and settled my cadence. ? I will say more than one person has commented how much they like the room note (er, porch note?).

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I wish it tasted as good as it smells.
Same here. I personally can’t stand smoking or smelling my jar of 1Q, but I love the room note. It was a blend I would enjoy giving to someone else to smoke. I find RLP6 a bit better balanced, but then again, I’d be content with only mixing it in with a straight burley at like 5%...or just living vicariously through someone else smoking it

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
When did they stop using Syrian? My first encounter with CA was in the early 2000s.
When it got crazy hard to get
There is no more Syrian latakia. Hasn't been any produced in 20 years or so. A good 15 years ago or so, the warehouse here in the States that had all the Syrian used by all the blenders except for McClelland burned down.

As far as the original question goes, I smoke Lane RR regularly. I have three tubs stashed, which should last me a while.
Otherwise, to the best of my knowledge, I have never smoked any Lane's. The pipe shops I have frequented don't sell relabeled Lane's.
I wonder if 1-Q is really the largest seller in the world. In the US, perhaps, but does it have the reach of some of the Mac Baren's blends, which are sold all over the world? puffy

Last edited:

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I am absolutely going to try adding cigar leaf to some HGL - thanks for the tip.
My pleasure.

I started adding some cigar-leaf to many of the available blends that seem a bit neutral, too sweet, or just, meh. Most blends can benefit from some additions of condiment tobaccos. In a minor role, Cigar-leaf adds creaminess, and makes the smoke thicker and more flavorful without altering the original blend too much. The goal is to enhance, and not to drastically change the original blend.

You can buy small quantities of cigar-leaf from most of the big tobacco houses, or you might stop at a local store that hand-rolls cigars and ask to buy a few ounces of "trimmings". That's how I started. I bought 4-ounces of cigar "trimmings" from a local hand-roller, and used an empty pill bottle as my volume measure. Three pill bottles of this (insert blend name here), and 1 pill bottle of cigar leaf. I purposely mix very small amounts so I don't waste too much tobacco if the experiment fails. I jot down proportions in a small notebook.

BTW, for some small additions of sweet-grassy Virginias, mellow Cavendish and Perique.....Stokkebye's "Luxury Bullseye Flake" can also be added to many available blends -with great results. Good luck, write down your recipes, and have fun discovering your own, personal, mixture(s).

Autumn is coming in a few, short months. It brings its gaudy, riot of color, along with contemplative sorrows, and forces us to accept that yet another year has flitted by too quickly..... But Autumn, a gift from God!.... also benevolently rewards us pipe-smokers with the perfect weather and the perfect season for smoking customized mixtures either with good friends or, in peaceful solitude. Kick back, and rest a while from all of Life's vexations. Light a fire, and watch as it waxes and then wanes into glowing embers, smoking your pipe. Life is a blessing...so is a good pipe filled with good tobacco.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I smoke Lane Limited Ready Rubbed quite often, it and Granger are my go-to for simple burley.

I tried some of the more famous aromatic Lane blends when I first picked up the pipe, but none of them really jived with me.
I agree with Nomadorb. Lane Ready Rubbed is pretty good for an infrequent change for me, but the aromatic blends don't do it for me any more. I started as a Captain Black Royal guy so almost the same. I moved on to English, VAPer and Burley blends.

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
My pleasure.

I started adding some cigar-leaf to many of the available blends that seem a bit neutral, too sweet, or just, meh. Most blends can benefit from some additions of condiment tobaccos. In a minor role, Cigar-leaf adds creaminess, and makes the smoke thicker and more flavorful without altering the original blend too much. The goal is to enhance, and not to drastically change the original blend.

You can buy small quantities of cigar-leaf from most of the big tobacco houses, or you might stop at a local store that hand-rolls cigars and ask to buy a few ounces of "trimmings". That's how I started. I bought 4-ounces of cigar "trimmings" from a local hand-roller, and used an empty pill bottle as my volume measure. Three pill bottles of this (insert blend name here), and 1 pill bottle of cigar leaf. I purposely mix very small amounts so I don't waste too much tobacco if the experiment fails. I jot down proportions in a small notebook.

BTW, for some small additions of sweet-grassy Virginias, mellow Cavendish and Perique.....Stokkebye's "Luxury Bullseye Flake" can also be added to many available blends -with great results. Good luck, write down your recipes, and have fun discovering your own, personal, mixture(s).

Autumn is coming in a few, short months. It brings its gaudy, riot of color, along with contemplative sorrows, and forces us to accept that yet another year has flitted by too quickly..... But Autumn, a gift from God!.... also benevolently rewards us pipe-smokers with the perfect weather and the perfect season for smoking customized mixtures either with good friends or, in peaceful solitude. Kick back, and rest a while from all of Life's vexations. Light a fire, and watch as it waxes and then wanes into glowing embers, smoking your pipe. Life is a blessing...so is a good pipe filled with good tobacco.
'Vexation' is one of those words I need to work in more often. ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you all for telling me what you think. (None of this feely stuff.) I'd entirely forgotten that Granger comes from Scandinavian Tobacco Group Lane Ltd. since it's been through several ownerships. I like that one right well. I'd say Lane (singular I see) gets mixed reviews. Some of their best sellers are sweeter more moist aromatics, like Q-1, but they make a variety. I have a well-aged unopened tin of Crown Achievement somewhere in my stash; I'll have to try that one. Anyone else have a comment on Lane?

Reactions: Jim Sobie

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
....Some of their best sellers are were sweeter more moist aromatics, like Q-1, but they make made a variety.
There, I fixed that for you.
Production has now shifted to Sutliff and STG in Denmark. I'm quite certain that there were brand casualties, as well.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
My pleasure.

You have inspired me to be creative and develop some personal mixtures - I’ll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
Thank you all for telling me what you think. (None of this feely stuff.) I'd entirely forgotten that Granger comes from Scandinavian Tobacco Group Lane Ltd. since it's been through several ownerships. I like that one right well. I'd say Lane (singular I see) gets mixed reviews. Some of their best sellers are sweeter more moist aromatics, like Q-1, but they make a variety. I have a well-aged unopened tin of Crown Achievement somewhere in my stash; I'll have to try that one. Anyone else have a comment on Lane?
Where would you say Granger stacks up against PA and CH? Those two were briefly unobtanium and now apparently shifted production to DR and I haven't heard enough about the new stuff to judge yet. I want to get a canister of codger burley on my next order and was considering Granger...

Status
Not open for further replies.