PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I’ve got a parcel held up by USPS. I called to inquire about the hold up (It’s registered) and they said “It’s tobacco” to which I responded “No. It’s a tobacco pipe” Long argument as they kept telling me “that’s just semantics”????? By that rationale, a beer mug is “beer”.
Had to call a buddy with the postal inspectors to get the package moving along.

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Within the EU it seems definite that as of July 1st the online sale and shipment of tobacco and tobacco products between countries will be prohibited, I have had conversations with Andreas from Esterval and he confirmed that his decision was definite for the EU.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I've also read of members of this forum having issues with orders getting held up for customs, and payment of duties and taxes...

So while this DHL Door to Door gets here quicker and less eyes are on it due to the speed, it's still a numbers game as to whether it will be identified and assessed.

And Esterval's website does state that the onus is on the customer to know whether or not they owe any duty/tax.

Me, I'd rather order stuff that's available in this country, than create possible frustration that I'd have to deal with later.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Consumer choice, right? I love it. You can have Coca-Cola, or Sprite, or Minute-Maid. Even Dasani, if you're Cristiano Ronaldo!

I understand all the concerns about safety and shipping. I think it's important to underscore that there is somewhat of a distribution of risk involved, and that approximately 90% of my pipe tobacco purchases are practically zero risk.

Purchases from Europe represent somewhat of a high-risk high-reward investment. It would be impractical for me to weight my purchases too heavily on something as risky as that. The last time I purchased from Estervals was in 2019 and I still haven't finished the majority of the tobacco I purchased them.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Consumer choice, right? I love it. You can have Coca-Cola, or Sprite, or Minute-Maid. Even Dasani, if you're Cristiano Ronaldo!

I understand all the concerns about safety and shipping. I think it's important to underscore that there is somewhat of a distribution of risk involved, and that approximately 90% of my pipe tobacco purchases are practically zero risk.

Purchases from Europe represent somewhat of a high-risk high-reward investment. It would be impractical for me to weight my purchases too heavily on something as risky as that. The last time I purchased from Estervals was in 2019 and I still haven't finished the majority of the tobacco I purchased them.

You should be in politics... ?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I chose a career in the sciences thinking I could escape politics and money. My entire career arc had been one rude awakening after another ;)
Politics is among the reasons I LEFT science...only to join the private sector were politics are even more prevalent.

The fact of the matter is that even as a freelancer, working alone, there are politics involved, sometimes totally out of our influence too.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
you can always live like a hippie from the 70's and without worries only for the day to day...if you don't have a wife, children, dog, house, car, etc.
Or have a six figure job, no debt, and only have to conduct time studies/create efficiency models, smoke at your desk, and play with a Rubik's cube. Man, that would be the life.?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Speaking of Esterval's... My order this time was mostly aromatics that I can't remember seeing at U.S. retailers.
Rattray's Caribbean Dream
Rattray's Winter Edition 2019
The Untouchables (A collaboration by Dan Tobacco, HU Tobacco and Michael Apitz)
Dan Tobacco Christmas Tobacco
The Jolly Joker Pipe Tobacco (by Dan Tobacco)
Meistermischung Nr. 11 (Kohlhase & Kopp)
Meistermischung Nr. 66 (Kohlhase & Kopp)
Danske Club White Rose (Scandinavian Tobacco Group)
Danske Club Burgundy (Scandinavian Tobacco Group)

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I’m still waiting on a tobacco pipe at the Chicago ISC, which I’ve found out through my postal inspectors buddies, is the least efficient ISC in the US, and also leads the US in thefts. ? I was only able to contact them once, and it involved an argument about the tobacco pipe NOT being tobacco, which is what the lady claimed.

I was hoping my buddies could’ve helped, but their inquiries were to no avail. I’ve gone on the USPS complaints, and read through others. A lot of the same thing.... being having their stuff sit for MONTHS, at the Chicago ISC. And a few, where their stuff just disappeared. Hope I eventually get my pipe. Cost me a pretty penny, and it was sent Registered, so the shipping was about $30.