PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
For the record , I’ve never damaged a pipe with a hot water rinse. It’s always a better smoke with the rinse even without soap which I sometimes use rather than alcohol. It’s a pipe, if you are so concerned about the 300-1000 dollars you’ve spent, just remember that money is burnt and so is the material you place in it’s chamber. It’s a wood burning tool not a sports car

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
One pays good moneys for a pipe and not one person here has a corner on "the proper treatment of the pipe." Some members go from the sublime to the ridiculous and that's where the humor lays. So, carry on men, even those without a clue add to the fun.
While I agree, there is historical wisdom, which I posted .

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
And it was proven that water caused that how?
Because the pipe was brand new and the stem was smooth and pristine before getting it wet.

Rinsed it with water and the above happened.

It was a quick rinse too.

The stems of the Auenlands are acrylic with a cover of birch wood. I take it that the wood expanded with moisture and, not being able to expand inwards, expanded all the more outwards, which cracked it.

The damage wasn't major and I was able to make it less noticeable with very fine sandpaper, but I'm not gonna repeat the experience.

I've water-rinsed my Almar's briar stummel again after that, but the stem isn't getting near water again. Though I've inserted a wet cleaner very carefully. I also experimented with a fine funnel, but got water at the joints again—a wee bit and quickly wiped off, but even then some moisture got in the birch wood. This is a very expensive (to me) pipe, and it's my best smoker and pipe overall: I refuse to ruin it by topping it the water warrior.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yes, indeed. I only bought it because bollitopipe.it had it for $153 USD. They're $100 more at SPC and other places this side of the pond.
When I first saw them going up my jaw dropped. The three I had combined were $285.

• Wow
Reactions: olkofri

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
That, combined with it being a thin veneer over another material, doesn’t surprise me in the least. I was mistakenly thinking those came with a solid briar stem.
Yup. I'm no wood expert, but I suspect that if I water-rinsed my MacQueen 'warden, whose stem is solid wood, the wood would expand in both directions and wouldn't crack—swell, maybe, but not crack. The stem would shed the dye and make a heck of a mess, but it wouldn't crack, probably.

Then again, I don't want another pipe with a solid wood stem again. That MacQueen cured me from wanting one: the stem imparts the shittiest burnt wood taste to the smoke. Ugh.

Heh, speaking of the MacQueen: the manufacturer of that one does state in the instructions to NEVER get it wet, lest it be ruined.

Status
Not open for further replies.