PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I’m familiar with that recommendation and it mostly doesn’t work, or does so for a few minutes.
Different pieces of briar respond differently to immersion in water. Some of my pipes fit back together almost immediately after I‘be completed clean, some need a few minutes, one or two 20 minutes.
Ever pipe has retained its fit. No problems with tenon/mortise fit.
Anecdotal

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
@olkofri had the end of a wood stem crack on a Vauen Auenland.

And it was proven that water caused that how? I don't take mine apart to water cleanse which I consider another big advantage. The less i have to break down a pipe, the better. I have pipes with several hundred bowls smoked through them that have never been taken apart.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
@olkofri had the end of a wood stem crack on a Vauen Auenland.
??
So historical references about the centuries long battle of protecting wood from water, all the while everyone is setting flame to embers inside their wooden pipe and that's ok.

If a little water is such a problem, I'm surprised there's no such discussion on the fact you are putting fire to it. Wood houses burn all the time. Wooden forests burn regularly. I use scrap briar as kindling to get rid of some of it during the winter time in my stove (guess what, briar burns just fine against the myths out there that it's somehow fire retardant).

Water won't do anything except maybe mess up your finish if you get sloppy on the water. The wood will be just fine.
logs become water logged all the time.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I just plugged the shank end of an old crappy shaped poker I did about 2 years ago that's been sitting in a bucket and have filled the bowl with water.

I'm letting it sit, filled with water, for 24 hours and will cut it in half tomorrow to see what type of penetration 24 hours of water will do to a drilled out piece of briar. Pictures to follow.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I just plugged the shank end of an old crappy shaped poker I did about 2 years ago that's been sitting in a bucket and have filled the bowl with water.

I'm letting it sit, filled with water, for 24 hours and will cut it in half tomorrow to see what type of penetration 24 hours of water will do to a drilled out piece of briar. Pictures to follow.
If you’re so confident why did you experiment with tour finest Dunhill or freehand?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

This has been done before, with pictures and all. I'm too lazy to look for it to post here.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Don't start the water argument BS with me. Keep a pipe clean with Q-tips, pipe cleaners and paper towels and you'll never need a reamer, water, or alcohol. I was just replying to a question.
Who is starting an argument? You made a BS statement and I simply asked for proof. And flush your pipes with water and you won't need Q tips and only a minimal amount of pipe cleaners and paper towels. Again, I don't care how you choose to clean your own pipes but I do have a problem with all the negative comments from people who have absolutely zero experience with water flush to speak from. That's the definition of BS.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Don't start the water argument BS with me. Keep a pipe clean with Q-tips, pipe cleaners and paper towels and you'll never need a reamer, water, or alcohol. I was just replying to a question.
I’m not sure of the cross section thickness of the wood on the ends of those stems. I could envision that being a factor if the bit is really thin. I’m sure the surface area to volume ratio plays a role in how much water is really absorbed. What is negligible for a stummel might be significant in a thin little stem. But that’s a rather obscure stem material, so I’m not surprised that no one else has run into that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.