PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I would love to visit a B&M, that picture of the LJ Peretti Store almost makes me want to visit a B&M, for cigars I can and did with a great selection. But for my country the choice in pipetobacco is A Second to none B Isn't what i'm looking for C grossly expensive (not the fault of B&M, taxes...). My option is to order in Germany which would be a 2.5 hour drive at minimum, Estervals for example is about a 5 to 6 hour drive. So online is my only consideration, next to plain convenience.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
Fully on board here. I can buy tobacco online for far less, but B&Ms usually have a nice lounge, and people to offer suggestions and pipe tips. When B&Ms are gone, we will all be at the mercy of those few remaining vendors left in the game.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Exactly my point. Your shoes may have cost more, but the use you get out of them exceeds the cost of replacing more cheaply made and priced goods. Over the long term, your cost is less.
I also tend to buy more expensive in order to use it longer. I bought some RM Williams boots about 14 years ago. I let someone resole them 2 times, but further more their fine and dandy. The cap of the toe is getting thin, the first hole is in it, so after this boot season they will disappear in the bin. Seeing these boots cost me about 300 euros on sale (they are now 600 euros with inflation and the AUD being worth more) and I never had to buy a lot of shoes anymore as these are so good. The ROI on these is fantastic, spend about 400 euros including maintenance.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Now days I only wear Crocs. So, I'm not sure if that applies to me. Tho, I still have my pair of Ghillies brogue that I bought in 86. Leather soles were replaced twice. Steel heel tap changed to hard rubber. Says hand made in Edinburg, Scotland. I'm not sure, got it at Grandfather Mtn.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I scored 6 bags of assorted Esoterica blends including Penzance from my local shop. I think Esoterica makes a point to focus on b and m's which is pretty nice and probably why its so hard to get it online. Im sure they could just offload their supply to 3 or 4 online stores rather than supply hundreds of shops all over the place but they choose not to.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
While I don't know the intricacies in your particular situation, most of the time it's not the B&M just jacking prices for the sake of profits. It's the taxes you have to pay, that you are not paying for that online order shipment, being enforced on the local purchase. You mention exchange and shipping, but not a duty/excise tax. Did you not pay that on the mail order?
I fully understand that there are plenty of outside forces acting on these prices. Theres a couple Cigar and Pipe shops on local Indian Reservations, which are completely tax exempt, and even there the prices are as i said, massively more expensive.
Now as for Duty and Excise Tax, the CBSA tends to ignore small dollar value purchases of things that would qualify for the tax. Pretty much keep it under 40$USD after shipping and it usually sails clean through. But yes, unfortunately I have been dinged by the Duty and Excise tax before when I exceeded the 50$ point, and on a per tin basis, still worked out to being about 3$ per tin cheaper than local shops.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Just happily crowing that I stopped in to my local Tobacconist to get a few cigars. And... I picked a few, then asked for a few suggestions. (He knows my tastes after plenty of questions and visits). Then, he said when your done browsing the humidor, I’ve got something for you. Out front in the pipe ares he had, Margate, Tilbury, and Dorchester tins and a couple bags. I had to buy at least 1. I’ve never had an Esoterica VaPer. I’m going to let it sit for a while.

Just confirming “The spport your local tobacco shops” position has merit.

Shout out to Stag Tobacconist in Scottsdale.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’ve never had an Esoterica VaPer. I’m going to let it sit for a while.
With most of Esoterica's blends being topped, aging can be a slight detriment. Those are better the newer they are. Dorchester and Dunbar especially.

Reactions: jttnk

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
With most of Esoterica's blends being topped, aging can be a slight detriment. Those are better the newer they are. Dorchester and Dunbar especially.

Oh boy, after reading this, I immediately went and popped a October 2019 tin of Dunbar.

Boy this has some funky fermented fruit, musty smell going on, I hope this is the stink it gets with age, and ok to smoke, cause the smell isn’t that pleasant.

Maybe when I go to smoke some, if I let it dry out good, the smell will improve.

This certainly smells like some fruity topping going on. Hmm ?

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
View attachment 81195
A good reason to support your B&M, I went to a friend's wedding in Garner, N.C. today and while I was in the area I stopped in at Pipes by George and was able to pick up some Early Morning Pipe and two tins of Balkan Sobranie!
Conversely, another reason why Canadians have such a hard time supporting local; you can't get Peterson's in Canada any more. Turns out asking manufacturers to change their labels every few years is frustrating...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
View attachment 81195
A good reason to support your B&M, I went to a friend's wedding in Garner, N.C. today and while I was in the area I stopped in at Pipes by George and was able to pick up some Early Morning Pipe and two tins of Balkan Sobranie!
A Hawaiian B&M had them at $60/five tin sleeve a few years back, picked up two sleeves. Most of the "unicorns" are easily obtained at B&Ms.

20180926_141300-1.jpg

Reactions: Zepfan84

Zepfan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2021
Wilmington, N.C.
Oh boy, after reading this, I immediately went and popped a October 2019 tin of Dunbar.

Boy this has some funky fermented fruit, musty smell going on, I hope this is the stink it gets with age, and ok to smoke, cause the smell isn’t that pleasant.

Maybe when I go to smoke some, if I let it dry out good, the smell will improve.

This certainly smells like some fruity topping going on. Hmm ?
I've been smoking a tin of Dunbar myself, you're in for a treat!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It has a nice apricot, maybe peach thing going on that you won't want to miss.

There’s nothing nice about this smell, I don’t think anyone would find it pleasant at all, it’s fairly disgusting.

More like rotted/fermented apricot with a twist of Moth ball and mold like going on too, but faint.

This is the worst smelling tabac I’ve had. I’ll just be sure to let it air/dry out, if I work up the nerve to smoke it.

The tabac also looks really raggedy.

Should I let it all air out a little, or from the tin, straight to jar?

Big hmm is all I got to say... hmm ?

@Zepfan84 does yours smell really bad too, how would you describe it?

Last edited:
Reactions: puff_not_snuff

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Conversely, another reason why Canadians have such a hard time supporting local; you can't get Peterson's in Canada any more. Turns out asking manufacturers to change their labels every few years is frustrating...
Yup. I've never seen any unicorns at my local shoppe. And even OTCs are ~$50 per pouch.

Reactions: kola