PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There aren't anymore where I live. Governor Newsom is running them out of town.

Oops, Was that a political statement? Strike that comment please... wait, I already did.... puffy
the loss of stores began long before the current administraion. They were disappearing during the time of the Governator. Pipes just don't pay as well as cigars. There's no shortage of places to buy cigars.

the loss of stores began long before the current administraion. They were disappearing during the time of the Governator. Pipes just don't pay as well as cigars. There's no shortage of places to buy cigars.
Was it the governator that banned Flavored tobacco? I didn't know it was discussed back then. One learns something everyday...

Reactions: LotusEater

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I'm about one hundred miles from the nearest B&M. If I can talk my wife into a visit to Ikea I might get to visit a pipe shop/tobacconist.
That particular B&M is two states away, 5 hours of driving / approximately 310 miles each way, plus the taxes are bloody outrageous compared to my state.

But the shop is great, the owner and people are awesome and their selection is always good. They have what I want in stock and are willing to ship if it isn’t. They know me even though I only get there about every 2-3 months and have even set things aside for me and waited for my next visit.

They know their stuff and are friendly folks.

Totally worth it to me. I’m going to keep supporting them because there’s not many left like them.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
If we're talking Eso/Germain, I don't have a viable local B&M (California). One local B&M has Eso in stock continuously, at $100 a bag. No thanks.

So I support out of state B&Ms for unicorns, but like Embers, have had no issues getting stuff online.

I pop into Pipe shops when I'm traveling and will buy something just to be supportive, usually at the tune of around $30 for a tin of standard fare.

Thankfully I've got a cellar brimming with quality stuff, with price increases and availability issues I couldn't afford to buy what I've socked away.

Lots of unicorns available as per telephone calls to B&M in other states that don't ship. You middle America folks have plenty of opportunity!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Oct 7, 2016
You're going to need those B&M's. If you don't support them they won't be around when you need them.
If you don’t see good service and selection from a nearby B&M now, if they stay open after some event happens that causes you to “need them”, they still won‘t have good service and selection.

Cellar. I have even been stocking up on pipe cleaners.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Don’t get me wrong anyone I think SPC is great, but I sometimes wonder if their volume of products and pricing, local B&M can’t compete, and it will eventually drive them out of business, not to forget the ease of online shopping too, no more gas, car wear & tear, driving, traffic, etc.

L.J. Peretti was the last great tobacco B&M I stepped into, amazing store, one that everyone should visit some day.

Hmm ?

6DE159EB-962D-4E77-B325-3EEAB74585EB.jpeg

57F75E46-E4B9-4C78-B9F1-8C239D494359.jpeg

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you don’t see good service and selection from a nearby B&M now, if they stay open after some event happens that causes you to “need them”, they still won‘t have good service and selection.

Cellar. I have even been stocking up on pipe cleaners.
As long as tobacco sales are not required to be "face to face". Once that happens it's B&Ms or nada. As for selection, if your burg's tobacco ship doesn't stock much try asking the proprietor to order some blends for you. Money is money. If a businessman sees more opportunities for profit he'll oblige you.

Yeah, it's going to cost more. Boo hoo.

Cellaring is excellent advice, but not everyone has the funds to buy large amounts at a time.