PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have grown to love Va/Oriental blends lately, I unfortunately also can't stand the taste of Latakia...

I really like GLP Embarcadero, GLP Cairo, GLP Regents Flake, Low Country Natural Virginia and Oriental, and C&D Oriental Silk ...I've been exploring the Va/Or realm this year and it's been a lovely ride.

I think I might have to try Bijou sometime soon, I have a feeling it is probably still pretty good even w/o the suggested 10-15 years age. ...would also love to try the Watch City offerings but feel like they can be hard to come by.
I'm smoking some now with three years age and it is very good. It was good fresh, just a little rough around the edges. Don't over look Sunday Picnic. And most of the VaOr blends from WCC are generally available. Persian Slipper is quite nice.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
And most of the VaOr blends from WCC are generally available. Persian Slipper is quite nice.
Does Ernie make any oriental forward blends without burley? I assume when black Cavendish is listed as an ingredient in WCC blends, that it's a burley based cav as well..
I doubt the OP would mind either way, but I've hesitated on WCC because of an aversion to light burley and American style Cavendish.

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
Appreciate the recommendations everyone. It was harder than I thought to find Oriental blends without the Latakia. Just ordered Sunday Picnic, GL Pease Embarcadero and Cornell & Diehl's Bijou which seems especially interesting.
McConnell Ready Rubbed is another one, it's just virginia and oriental, no latakia.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Does Ernie make any oriental forward blends without burley? I assume when black Cavendish is listed as an ingredient in WCC blends, that it's a burley based cav as well..
I doubt the OP would mind either way, but I've hesitated on WCC because of an aversion to light burley and American style Cavendish.

I don't know. I don't pay that much attention to the ingredients as long as there's no Latakia.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
WCC Persian Slipper is fantastic and affordable.
How much Latakia is in the slipper? I really enjoy WCC blends, especially old Dominion, but Latakia in most blends is just too Smokey. The only blend with Latakia that was semi-enjoyable was skiff mixture the froggy and pirate kake have just been sitting in their jars.. waiting...maybe for Christmas exchange...

LongHairDontCare

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2021
My favorites from what I’ve found and tried are Sunday picnic, embarcadero, and regents flake. Then for one with just a little bit of Latakia, Presbyterian. But the Presbyterian is absolutely worth trying, even if you don’t like Latakia. If you can handle just a smidge more Latakia, C&Ds plantation evening is really good.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
How much Latakia is in the slipper? I really enjoy WCC blends, especially old Dominion, but Latakia in most blends is just too Smokey. The only blend with Latakia that was semi-enjoyable was skiff mixture the froggy and pirate kake have just been sitting in their jars.. waiting...maybe for Christmas exchange...

It must be very minimal because I like this blend.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
A friend recently sent me some Savinelli Brunello Flake (Va/Bur/Or), and it's kind of my new favorite thing. The tin note is particularly lovely. My palate keeps expecting to taste Lat, and I find that the Macedonian leaf is really clarified without it.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
A friend recently sent me some Savinelli Brunello Flake (Va/Bur/Or), and it's kind of my new favorite thing. The tin note is particularly lovely. My palate keeps expecting to taste Lat, and I find that the Macedonian leaf is really clarified without it.
Fantastic tobacco, that one. Agree on the tin note, although I wish it transfered to the taste a bit more.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Good to know, I picked up the WCC simply VA/oriental sometime ago and wonder if they just added Latakia to it to make the slipper? Sure @jiminks would know, might not tell but he would know!?

I will add the slipper to the cart and see if i can tell?!

Thanks.
Simply Va/Oriental is as much my formula as it is Ernie's, and none of his blends were a base for it. Ernie had the initial idea, and we had a back and forth with it for six one before a final version was approved by both of us.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
To echo @hoosierpipeguy it's a small amount. It's there but it's nothing like Balkan Supreme or other blends.

To me, it helps round out the blend and make it "more" for lack of a better term.

Their Old Dominion is my favorite blend of theirs. Even more than Rougaroux.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
To echo @hoosierpipeguy it's a small amount. It's there but it's nothing like Balkan Supreme or other blends.

To me, it helps round out the blend and make it "more" for lack of a better term.

Their Old Dominion is my favorite blend of theirs. Even more than Rougaroux.

Oh, the Latakia is definitely in there not like some of the heavier blends but definitely noticable for me. It's just over the condiment limit for me. I guess it's because it's in none of the blends I usually smoke, it's nice for a change of pace and helps understand blends better in general.
Simply Va/Oriental is as much my formula as it is Ernie's, and none of his blends were a base for it. Ernie had the initial idea, and we had a back and forth with it for six one before a final version was approved by both of us.
Thanks for the back story, still need to smoke them to formulate an opinion besides the obvious of the Latakia and that different blends used between the two blends.

IMO Watch city cigars has the best house blends nation wide would gladly take WCC stash to a deserted island in the tobaccolypse!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Oh, the Latakia is definitely in there not like some of the heavier blends but definitely noticable for me. It's just over the condiment limit for me. I guess it's because it's in none of the blends I usually smoke, it's nice for a change of pace and helps understand blends better in general.

Thanks for the back story, still need to smoke them to formulate an opinion besides the obvious of the Latakia and that different blends used between the two blends.

IMO Watch city cigars has the best house blends nation wide would gladly take WCC stash to a deserted island in the tobaccolypse!
At the forum's recommendation (primarily Hoosier), I ordered from Watch City.

Persian Slipper and Deluxe Crumb Cut are game changers. Very nicely done with good flavor and smell. Not overly sweet and solid smokes.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I'm a new pipe smoker, 9 months in now and I've explored Virginias and Vapors which I love. I also like Latakia blends during the winter months as well as Burley but not so big on Aromatics. I feel like Orientals is the last category which I haven't tried yet so I'm looking for some recommendations for Oriental forward blends. Thanks is advance.
Cornell and Diehl's Bijou is excellent. It's a VaOr, with 2003 res Virginia - extremely good Virginia if you ask me, and I don't normally smoke much Virginia. Gives you a chance to try aged leaf too. But the real star of that blend is the Katerini oriental. God I can't get enough of the Katerini... So good.... And the blend has an extremely light honey casing, which adds a nice smoothness to the mouth feel. I think you'll enjoy it.