PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Some feel the party ended for USA customers, at least in practical terms, sometime last year. However, it seems to be officially ended for the present, or at least for my address.
When you try to check out at Estervals for delivery to the US you encounter the following statement when you reach the shipping menu:
Shipping Method
pixel_trans.gif
This is currently the only shipping method available to use on this order.
pixel_trans.gif
pixel_trans.gif
pixel_trans.gif
Unfortunately it is not possible to dispatch into this country

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Due to the fickle nature of the USPS, Customs, et al, they probably realized that shipping here and not having product delivered, returned and held in Germany or whatever that it wasn’t financially viable for them to send stuff here anymore.

A lot Cuban cigar shippers got stiffed a few years back when customs ramped up seizures of Cuban cigars, they stopped shipping here also.

Bottom line: It’s getting to be more of a gamble having tobacco shipped from overseas. I’m sure somewhere there’s a database of shippers addresses that trip the trigger.

Some vendors stopped shipping a few years ago. British and Danish companies no longer ship tobacco. And the credit card companies are involved too.

The heyday of cheap, untaxed, tobacco from offshore has pretty much come to a close.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Well, it was fun while it lasted. One of the things I loved about them is they would have some amazing flash sales. Things are changing fast, it wasn’t long ago that you could order from GQ Tobaccos without a second thought. It’s a shame for the newer folks that won’t be able to explore blends that aren’t imported here but we all saw the writing on the wall.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I emailed them. This was the reply:

Greetings,

Yes, as customers in the USA do not understand that if you are shopping in Germany and import goods into the USA and have to pay customs duties for them, we have now stopped shipping to the USA.

Best Regards

Andreas Harm
(CEO)

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
You just gotta love Esterval's rude and haughty attitude.

Rude and haughty...?

They’re running a business. As I understand it, everything that gets shipped back to Germany gets held by German customs. There is a cost to getting it out. Or an order get seized and held in the states while awaiting payment of excise taxes. The purchaser complains to their credit card company that the stuff they ordered was not delivered and gets a refund.

Bottom line: vendor selling at a loss isn’t a good business model.

They played that game for awhile, now the playing field has changed. How dare they refuse to ship here!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
There goes good thing, not that I utilized it. I say open the gate to the free trade!

Free trade? Taxes have to be paid on free trade. And especially something as heavily regulated and taxed as tobacco. You can’t just drive to Canada and bring back cases of booze or Cuban cigars just because there is a tax advantage. You have to pay duty on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.