PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Part of me says "err on the side of caution", my dark side wonders if they were lead lined tins, but that's unlikely and aluminum isn't really the best thing to cook on so I can only assume that smoking it may also not be the best thing for your health.

It is a shame, sad to see, but a possible reality for those who cellar.

Reactions: BROBS

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Though I’d recommend pitching that out of a sense of safety, faced with a similar situation, I would probably try to smoke some from the center of the mass that hadn’t come in direct contact with the sides of the tin. I’m a total idiot about this kind of thing. Your call … puffy

Reactions: BROBS

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Since this is my first time encountering rust my question is: Is tobacco in a rusted tin dangerous
It looks dicey to me.
8AB13432-2DC6-4C81-A8D7-2D2AC732C51A.jpegThis is a photo I just took of the inside of a tin 1997 Christmas Cheer. The specks are tobacco.
FYI - These tins are lined with some type of cream colored coating that seems to have failed in your tin. I would hope it was not toxic but have no idea if it’s ok to ingest it in smoke.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
It’s probably not the bad kind of lung cancer and systemic organ failure you could get from smoking it, but even if it was it probably wouldn’t kill you right away - you’d probably be okay with the wheezing and coughing up blood for quite awhile before it got you. Probably.

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
My friend gave me a tin of 1996 Christmas Cheer that was opened but he never smoked. About half left.

I noticed that the walls on the inside looked weird. Then I saw a rust spot. No rust on the outside of the tin.

Since this is my first time encountering rust my question is: Is tobacco in a rusted tin dangerous to smoke, or does it just potentially ruin the flavor?

when heated, iron oxide releases the oxygen and turns back into plain old iron. I'd probably smoke it. it seems unlikely that you'd inhale chunks of iron into your lungs unless you're a really dedicated inhaler.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
It looks dicey to me.
View attachment 79393This is a photo I just took of the inside of a tin 1997 Christmas Cheer. The specks are tobacco.
FYI - These tins are lined with some type of cream colored coating that seems to have failed in your tin. I would hope it was not toxic but have no idea if it’s ok to ingest it in smoke.
It is not toxic in its present form. Decomposed, as a food scientist.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
My understanding is that most food-grade steel cans are lined with a plastic or epoxy material and have been for decades. I know aluminum cans, such as those used for soda or beer, are lined with a very thin layer of BPA.

Here is a link I found during a 30 second Google search; I would imagine you can spend some time online and educate yourself further by sourcing food storage industry trade journals as well as websites by concerned citizens that include citations.

Bottom line is it looks like there is a layer between the rust and the interior of the can that has flaked away as the rust mechanically separated it from the steel interior.

Status
Not open for further replies.