PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
My friend gave me a tin of 1996 Christmas Cheer that was opened but he never smoked. About half left.

I noticed that the walls on the inside looked weird. Then I saw a rust spot. No rust on the outside of the tin.

Since this is my first time encountering rust my question is: Is tobacco in a rusted tin dangerous to smoke, or does it just potentially ruin the flavor?

63933C0C-DF0B-44F9-A32D-4731E11C22EA.jpeg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I doubt that smoking iron rust would be anymore toxic that the chemicals already in tobacco, but it might not taste all that great...

You could screen out the fines and give it a try.

I had an old can of Middleton’s Cherry Blend that had rusted inside. Dumped the tobacco on a screen and sifted the fines, rehydrated it, stashed it away for a couple years. It tastes like, well, Middleton’s Cherry Blend. And it’s not bad either.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Your tin look like a horror show, sadly. Stuff seems to be flaking off the liner. Not worth the risk, IMO.

I’ve smoked tobacco that was in a tin with some rust on the inside, but was wrapped in a paper liner preventing contact between the tobacco and rust. I could still easily taste a metallic note and pitched the tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.