PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
Title says it all. I read many threads on the subject without any good answer. FvF is sometimes wonderful but many times awful. I’ve been cube cutting it, let it dry for 24-30 hours and sometimes it’s good sometimes it does not stay lit. and taste like crap. Any tips on how to get it to behave? Read that some microwave it but not sure about that.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Really? I just rub it out nice, dry it for 30 minutes, load up and go. It’s never given me trouble. In fact, it’s always a great smoke.

One thing I do though is take a small chunk of flake and rub it into powder. Like we’re talking really super fine. Put that on top as kindling.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Really? I just rub it out nice, dry it for 30 minutes, load up and go. It’s never given me trouble. In fact, it’s always a great smoke.

One thing I do though is take a small chunk of flake and rub it into powder. Like we’re talking really super fine. Put that on top as kindling.
I always thought the Brits put some asbestos in that blend, just to have some fun with us........... you know, that famous Brit humor............. ?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I dry it overnight, but that’s out in the garage. And the time is never going to be totally consistent, as the weather and seasons change. Drying time and efficacy is completely a function of the humidity where you dry it. Maybe in QC in the spring you need to dry it on a hot plate or by some other method.

Reactions: ofafeather
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
That I have no problem with. But last time it did not stay lit after 24 hours of drying. Do you cube cut it or rub? Bowl size?

I open the tin and let it sit for several weeks. Sometimes, if it's still wet, I nuke it. Others, I just stuff it in the pipe and smoke it. My pipes are usually 0.75 or so bowl ID and 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" deep.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I rub it out and let it get just shy of bone dry, which in a dry climate takes about 4 hours, sometimes a little more. Dry it too much and it turns to crap. Dry it too little and it tastes like crap. I get consistently good smokes because I've learned what that target moisture feels like. A little experimentation and you'll figure it out.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I usually completely rub it out, and then let it dry just this side of crispy, at least 4-5 hrs, sometimes overnight in my usually very dry climate (Sonoran desert).

If I want it and I haven't planned ahead, fully rubbing it out, nuking it for 17 seconds in the microwave, and then letting it sit for 10-15 minutes also works.

Is it the same as letting it naturally dry? Not exactly! Is it still pretty darn tasty? For sure!

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Title says it all. I read many threads on the subject without any good answer. FvF is sometimes wonderful but many times awful. I’ve been cube cutting it, let it dry for 24-30 hours and sometimes it’s good sometimes it does not stay lit. and taste like crap. Any tips on how to get it to behave? Read that some microwave it but not sure about that.
Sometimes good and sometimes-not quite awful-but meh for me. Its fire retardant properties along with that and a doubling of price some 10 years ago caused me to stop buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.