So, Who has been Hoarding All the Tomato Ketchup, Then?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a kitchen drawer full of Soy Sauce, Parmesan Cheese, Hot Pepper flakes from years of ordering Vietnamese, Chinese and Japanese take out.

The little packets of —whatever—do not need refrigeration.
Duck Sauce, I've never understood Duck sauce. When I googly it, it just says that its a bunch of sweet and sour chemicals served to Americans at Chinese restaurants. It's not even a real Chinese thing. I just throw those away. No telling what kitchen sink pharmacopeia was used to make that crap.

Reactions: mau1

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Speaking of Bluefin tuna, a food writer who has been to the major fish market in Japan informs me that the first Bluefin tuna of the year is sold at auction and can demand the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of dollars for the pride of having bought it. Further, it is the only fish I know of that is warm-blooded. I'm not sure how that distinction is confirmed, but so it is.

On the ketchup front, when in Hong Kong in the early 1970's when it was still a British Crown Colony, I found that whatever I ordered at a restaurant, they immediately bought me a big bottle of U.S. ketchup. For years I thought this was a sort of despair, assuming that all Americans wanted ketchup with everything, but I later learned that many Asian countries are crazy about our ketchup and think it is only good hospitality to get it on the table immediately.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Duck Sauce, I've never understood Duck sauce. When I googly it, it just says that its a bunch of sweet and sour chemicals served to Americans at Chinese restaurants. It's not even a real Chinese thing. I just throw those away. No telling what kitchen sink pharmacopeia was used to make that crap.
shit is good man.. you're missing out

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Sushi, I love it. It's like a Japanese way to turn $0.25 worth of food into $12.00, with the Midas Touch. puffy
Stay safe, my friend.
I know Sushi is what I eat when I am not that hungry but feel indulgent. The funny thing is if the sushi is good I never feel ripped off. Also sushi helps me buy pipes since I can point out it's only two sushi for two dinners :).

I know Sushi is what I eat when I am not that hungry but feel indulgent. The funny thing is if the sushi is good I never feel ripped off. Also sushi helps me buy pipes since I can point out it's only two sushi for two dinners :).
I never feel ripped off, but if you watch them make it, there's barely anything to them. A tiny slice of fish goes a loooooong way with a sushi chef.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I never feel ripped off, but if you watch them make it, there's barely anything to them. A tiny slice of fish goes a loooooong way with a sushi chef.
yeah I only feel ripped off when the sushi isn't good. Luck would have it we now have a great sushi place. Best thing about the place if they can't get something to their standard that day it's not on the menu. Heck even their California rolls are divine which I like California rolls but their the drug store aromatics of sushi in my opinion. And their Oshinko is way better then any vegetarian thing has any business being.

Reactions: username and BROBS

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Mine has a regular glove box and a hidden one above that. I used to keep a revolver in there for when I had to make bank drops and gold exchanges for the store. Now, I really never have more than a few handful of rings that I wouldn't be heartbroken to just hand someone with a pointy stick. I'm insured. puffy
What if someone tries to steal your condiments?

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"About all I can say about French's Ketchup is they make good mustard."

North Americans can't make proper mustard, for that you need Colemans of Norwich mustard......will blow your American socks off :LOL:

And by Colemans, I don't mean the nasty stuff in jars which is sweetened etc, I mean the pure ground mustard seed powder you mix yourself. Absolutely essential with good quality pork sausages......yum!

Regards,

Jay.

boatme99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Somewhere in this vast universe
And all the ducks thank you.
Save the ducks!

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Further, it is the only fish I know of that is warm-blooded. I'm not sure how that distinction is confirmed, but so it is.

It’s not warm-blooded in the same sense as a mammal, per se. They still have a lot of the same teleost traits and processes as their distant cousins. They’ve evolved to have their blood vessels in more internal locations which reduces heat loss to the surrounding water. Coupled with counter-current exchange mechanisms (rete mirabile, for those interested), as osmosis occurs, so does thermal exchange. While touted as “warm-blooded,” they’re really just able to thermoregulate to the extent that their blood can be several degrees warmer than the water in which they’re swimming. As a predator, this is huge because they’re able to expand their range into cooler waters while also slightly buffering the impact that colder waters tend to have on fish.

There are several other fish species capable of incredible feats like this, too. Focusing on thermoregulation only, it’s thought that the Opah is entirely endothermic.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier

Wait. Is this comment predicated on the notion that the rest of the stuff you’re getting from a Chinese restaurant is authentically Chinese?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Wait. Is this comment predicated on the notion that the rest of the stuff you’re getting from a Chinese restaurant is authentically Chinese?"

It's the same with Indian restaurants over here, most folk from India, Pakistan etc wouldn't recognise, let alone eat what is sold in them. Me, I love it :)

You can't beat a lovely lamb korma with a couple of keema naan breads.

Regards,

Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.