So, Who has been Hoarding All the Tomato Ketchup, Then?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm in the restaurant business, ketchup packet shortage is old news. Now, bacon is thru the roof. We've gone thru every shortage you can imagine, for all key products. My purchasing director aged ten years in the past one. From my office, hearing him yelling at some vendor on the phone is not an uncommon occurence. We have sauce pumps in our dining rooms, and pulled them last March. We just asked the bulk sauce vendor to resupply them and we're returning them in April. We'll see if guests will trust them.

I noticed that as soon as Covid hit, restaurants stopped asking if you wanted ketchup. I turned the handgun compartment in my dashboard into a buffet of condiments. I had napkins, packets of salt, ketchup, horsey sauce, and small bottle of hot sauce in there, with a few extra plastic forks and spoons. We would get our food and then set in the truck at the park and eat when we just had to get out of the house.

Hold up - your what?

We just keep change and sunglasses in our dash cubbies. Am I doing it wrong?
Mine has a regular glove box and a hidden one above that. I used to keep a revolver in there for when I had to make bank drops and gold exchanges for the store. Now, I really never have more than a few handful of rings that I wouldn't be heartbroken to just hand someone with a pointy stick. I'm insured. puffy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have not been to a restaurant in over a year since Covid started and I have no plans to break that streak until everyone gets their shit together. I do take out of course as just the other night me and my 2 sons pounded almost 200.00 worth of sushi. They had Bluefin Fatty Tuna at 12.00 a piece which is average at most places I have been.
If anyone is a sushi fan and have yet to try the Bluefin, you have to get at least one piece. Yeah I know it is stupid money, but there is not a better bite on any fish in any ocean. Make sure it is not just the regular fatty tuna gotta be Bluefin.

We have a few extra packets in our fridge. When I'm in the drive-thru, I ask for ketchup and they always give more than I need. What I don't use comes home with me...I'm not going to throw them out.

View attachment 74090
That's my technique as well.
They had Bluefin Fatty Tuna at 12.00 a piece which is average at most places I have been.
We ate at our first set down restaurant yesterday, since this stared. But, we are vaccinated now, so the risk was at least minimal. But, it still felt weird.

Sushi, I love it. It's like a Japanese way to turn $0.25 worth of food into $12.00, with the Midas Touch. puffy
Stay safe, my friend.

• 2 (28 ounce) cans peeled ground tomatoes
  • ½ cup water, divided
  • ⅔ cup white sugar
  • ¾ cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 ¾ teaspoons salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon celery salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon mustard powder
  • ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
  • 1 whole clove
  • Step 1
    Pour ground tomatoes into slow cooker. Swirl 1/4 cup water in each emptied can and pour into slow cooker. Add sugar, vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, celery salt, mustard powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and whole clove; whisk to combine.
  • Step 2
    Cook on high, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by half and very thick, 10 to 12 hours. Stir every hour or so.
  • Step 3
    Smooth the texture of the ketchup using an immersion blender, about 20 seconds.
  • Step 4
    Ladle the ketchup into a fine strainer and press mixture with the back of a ladle to strain out any skins and seeds.
    Step 5
    Transfer the strained ketchup to a bowl. Cool completely before tasting to adjust salt, black pepper, or cayenne pepper.

There ya go, make all of the ketchup your heart desires. It's not rocket surgery. If any old grandma can do it, so can you.

• 2 (28 ounce) cans peeled ground tomatoes
  • ½ cup water, divided
  • ⅔ cup white sugar
  • ¾ cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 ¾ teaspoons salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon celery salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon mustard powder
  • ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
  • 1 whole clove
  • Step 1
    Pour ground tomatoes into slow cooker. Swirl 1/4 cup water in each emptied can and pour into slow cooker. Add sugar, vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, celery salt, mustard powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and whole clove; whisk to combine.
  • Step 2
    Cook on high, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by half and very thick, 10 to 12 hours. Stir every hour or so.
  • Step 3
    Smooth the texture of the ketchup using an immersion blender, about 20 seconds.
  • Step 4
    Ladle the ketchup into a fine strainer and press mixture with the back of a ladle to strain out any skins and seeds.
    Step 5
    Transfer the strained ketchup to a bowl. Cool completely before tasting to adjust salt, black pepper, or cayenne pepper.

There ya go, make all of the ketchup your heart desires. It's not rocket surgery. If any old grandma can do it, so can you.

After reviewing this recipe, just use tomato paste instead of ground tomatoes. You won't have to cook it as long as this stupid recipe says.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.