PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Not to start a discussion on Red VA vs everything else but why does it seem like so many, especially small batch, blends feature red VA heavily?

I get that it usually has a great tanginess but I prefer a VaPer with a hay/bread/malt forward VA and the tang is supplied by a good plum/raisin/fig Perique. As a matter of fact, if you add a touch of oriental sourness to what I a good VaPer it can be even better.

I don't understand the current ravings about red vinegar Virginia heavy VaPer blends when the tang seems to dominate the rest of the blend.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Not to start a discussion on Red VA vs everything else but why does it seem like so many, especially small batch, blends feature red VA heavily?

I get that it usually has a great tanginess but I prefer a VaPer with a hay/bread/malt forward VA and the tang is supplied by a good plum/raisin/fig Perique. As a matter of fact, if you add a touch of oriental sourness to what I a good VaPer it can be even better.

I don't understand the current ravings about red vinegar Virginia heavy VaPer blends when the tang seems to dominate the rest of the blend.
You get most bread and malt from red va.

how about how Mac Baren terms the Va does it make more sense then?
Bright = Filler
Red = Flavor

they don’t even use the term red or bright just flavor or filler.

jyrreb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2019
I’m with you on this. I can’t stand straight reds or red heavy blends that are overpoweringly tangy. I certainly don’t mind it if the tanginess is a background player, but up front the flavor is very off putting to me. A sample of 515-r C made me rethink my desire for the hobby a few years back.

Reactions: ofafeather

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Reds bring out the plummy stewed fruit flavors more, where darker VAs accentuate spicy, earthy, and cigar-ish notes. Lighter, grassy, sweet flue cured VAs seem to highlight the acrid, fishfoody, sweaty gym-sock side of perique unless it's all pressed and toasted, but then its gets a lil cigarettey, in a good way, imho.
I think most VaPer enthusiasts like the plummy, raisiny, figgy side of the spectrum, and leaning heavy on red/orange is best way to achieve that flavor goal.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I guess its like latakia blends. They all taste exactly the same to me now, but red Virginia doesn't dominate blends that I smoke. It just depends on the smoker. Reds are the dominant Virginia in my collection.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Depends on how its processed too. a minimally processed red will be more bready, while something that's been pressed and aged/fermented a while or stoved will be more fruity and tangy.

Brights on the other hand will be more grassy and citrus at first but become more creamy, herbal and floral with some aging/fermenting/stoving. They can still be tangy too, but more like a citrus sour tang vs a vinegar tang of the reds.

Reds have a bit more body to fill things out. Too much brights and things can become thin. Which is why people Including myself use more reds for a straight vaper.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland

Have you tried Janneman flake from HU? It's pretty good, the beginning of the bowl is indeed a LOT of the tang, given the blend is mostly red Virginia, but the tanginess does subside, and turn bready as it progresses. I wasn't sure about it at the start but do like it now. Still my preference is for bright Virginia + Perique, like DLNRs, St Bernard, Solani 633 etc

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Have you tried Janneman flake from HU? It's pretty good, the beginning of the bowl is indeed a LOT of the tang, given the blend is mostly red Virginia, but the tanginess does subside, and turn bready as it progresses. I wasn't sure about it at the start but do like it now. Still my preference is for bright Virginia + Perique, like DLNRs, St Bernard, Solani 633 etc
Janneman is a great flake. Those of you in the EU should give it a try. I may still have a tin of it from my last successful Esterval's order. At this point, I'll settle for what I have. Not taking that risk again.

jyrreb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2019
Will someone provide examples of popular red forward VaPers?
The first one that comes to my mind as one that I’ve tried and definitely didn’t like was Louisiana Red from H&H. Far too much of a sharp vinegar-like tang for me. I’m sure there are plenty more out there but I’ve since been avoiding them.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Fillmore comes to mind. Took some time to get used to ripe red Va as Greg P. mentioned on the description. The first few bowls were overwhelming for me. To a point, it was harsh. By the end of the tin, I got used to it. But I still prefer Telegraph Hill. Not sure what sort of Va is in TH, but it was smooth, mellow and flavorful.

Status
Not open for further replies.