PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I just got into pipe smoking can someone explain to me what deeming day is and what is going to happen. Thanks.

Reactions: JOHN72

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
You can do a Google search under “Deeming regulation tobacco” and get a lot of information. I’m not sure what the latest is on the projected implementation date.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From talking to my local independent pipe shop owner -- admittedly quite a while ago -- this whole regulatory move seems to be a wait-and-see operation. Not much clarity is coming out of FDA (or ATF) so much of the response by tobacco companies is anticipatory and not by the book. Maybe the first regulatory moves will be launched against some tobacco companies or categories of companies, and others will scramble to comply. I'd guess the tobacco market will take a few years to settle out to its new status quo. Forums members at large are so stocked up, I don't think this will have much impact, except emotionally, for a few years.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In 2009 Congress passed the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. As a consequence the FDA was given a large measure of control over sales of tobacco products.

Under terms of the act, tobaccos which have been continually available on the US market since before February 15th 2007 are grandfathered in.

Tobaccos which came onto the market after February 15th 2007 but prior to August 8 2016 must go thru one of several "Deeming" processes in order to remain on the market permanently. The current deadline for meeting this requirement is August 8th 2021. However, if the Deeming process is underway but not yet completed, a one year extension may be granted.

New blends brought to market after August 8 2016 must file for deeming and go thru the process before being made available for sale.

Since being announced there have been a number of legal challenges, some successful, others not, so some of this may have been changed a little

For more information this topic look here:

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
New blends brought to market after August 8 2016 must file for deeming and go thru the process before being made available for sale.

Does this mean that blends that actually were brought to market after 8/8/2016 are not subject to the deeming deadline? The assumption being that they've already gone through the deeming process.

Reactions: BROBS
Oct 7, 2016

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Does this mean that blends that actually were brought to market after 8/8/2016 are not subject to the deeming deadline? The assumption being that they've already gone through the deeming process.
I believe what it means is that any un-deemed blends brought on the market after the "grandfather" date will not be able to be legally sold until (if) they complete the deeming process in time.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
Sounds like they did this to primarily go after Vape Companies. I wonder if Cigarette Companies are behind this since their blends have been the same for years and they will not really be effected. Pipe tobacco companies are the collateral damage.

I think a big part of the pipe hobby is creating new blends. This will be pretty much stopped because you have to pay the FDA for the testing and the testing is very expensive. All tobaccos that came onto the market after 2007 are in danger of extinction.

Someone mentioned pipes might have to be tested to which would kill a lot of pipe manufacturing especially by artisans.

This is sheer hypocrisy pipe tobaccos and vape mixtures do not use the poisons that are in cigarettes. Cigarettes are loaded with all kinds of deadly chemicals and this will be allowed to continue. This legislation makes it appear that the government is doing something about the dangers of smoking but they are actually only hurting the least dangerous (pipes and vapes) and ignoring the most dangerous (cigarettes).

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
This was the original date set by the FDA. However, some of the do gooder organizations took them to court, complaining this was too long. The court agreed. The deeming date was then set at September 9, 2020.

That was my understanding, except September came and went and they're still selling stuff that doesn't seem to meet the criteria (i.e. all the Cult blends).

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Sounds like they did this to primarily go after Vape Companies. I wonder if Cigarette Companies are behind this since their blends have been the same for years and they will not really be effected. Pipe tobacco companies are the collateral damage.

I think a big part of the pipe hobby is creating new blends. This will be pretty much stopped because you have to pay the FDA for the testing and the testing is very expensive. All tobaccos that came onto the market after 2007 are in danger of extinction.

Someone mentioned pipes might have to be tested to which would kill a lot of pipe manufacturing especially by artisans.

This is sheer hypocrisy pipe tobaccos and vape mixtures do not use the poisons that are in cigarettes. Cigarettes are loaded with all kinds of deadly chemicals and this will be allowed to continue. This legislation makes it appear that the government is doing something about the dangers of smoking but they are actually only hurting the least dangerous (pipes and vapes) and ignoring the most dangerous (cigarettes).
That's our uncle Sam for you and me.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey

I actually don't mind them regulating new stuff. Some John Q Public down the street could be mixing whatever he wants and it goes unchecked. The vape industry in general dug its own hole with the stuff that's been going on in that industry for years. If they hadn't taken advantage of their lack of oversight, this mess possibly wouldn't be what it turned out to be.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
The fact that manufacturers haven't yet come out and said "hey if you enjoy xyz blend then you should stock up now" leads me to believe that nothing is really going to change. But what do I know .

Oct 7, 2016
That was my understanding, except September came and went and they're still selling stuff that doesn't seem to meet the criteria (i.e. all the Cult blends).
That was the exact time Pipes and Cigas went to blending kits, so for sure something changed. There are ways to keep a blend on the market that aren’t transparent to us, such as substantially equivalent. Those filings are not public so far because the industry has raised trade secret issues.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
How widely known was the closing of McClelland the day before it happened?
I imagine they sold off most of their inventory before closing. My point is that if manufacturers will have to soon pull many of their blends wouldn't they be trying to sell as much of them as possible?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The fact that manufacturers haven't yet come out and said "hey if you enjoy xyz blend then you should stock up now" leads me to believe that nothing is really going to change. But what do I know .
A good point.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I imagine they sold off most of their inventory before closing. My point is that if manufacturers will have to soon pull many of their blends wouldn't they be trying to sell as much of them as possible?
Maybe they already have. Dunhill stock sat on store shelves for nearly two years after their production ended before Peterson picked them up. Possibly even selling component tobaccos to cigarette manufacturers to may back lost capital.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72
Status
Not open for further replies.