PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I like how they look, but the one I have has the chunkiest stem I've ever seen and is simply unclenchable. The bad drill also makes it impossible to smoke without overpuffing, so nah, not a fan.
If they are bad enough a company today called them “seconds”.......

Avoid

Reactions: jpberg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Great smoking pipes. I own 4, 3 Briars and a Strawberry.

Stummels may have some cosmetic defects or odd looking grain patterns, but the mechanics are solid. Good value for the price.

I would say that they’d still be a good value if marked up 25-30%, compared to what else is available in that price range.

Reactions: BROBS and marconi

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I am not a fan. I got an author from him with the bit impossibly twisted. He wouldn't take it back, or send a replacement stem. He doesn't even make them. I like unfinished pipes, but in general, I hate that short, chunky style. They are very affordable, and I understand the attraction. To each his own for sure.

Reactions: eljimmy and Casual

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Reactions: Casual

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Great smoking pipes. I own 4, 3 Briars and a Strawberry.

Stummels may have some cosmetic defects or odd looking grain patterns, but the mechanics are solid. Good value for the price.

I would say that they’d still be a good value if marked up 25-30%, compared to what else is available in that price range.
Estates, on average, run less than a Bones pipe. And sometimes far less. You can find GBDs, Webers, Bertrams, Kaywoodies, Hardcastles, etc in that price range and many look like they have never been smoked. The restoration needed for most is going to cost little. If Bones were marked up more, they would be far out of their value range.

Reactions: jpberg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Estates, on average, run less than a Bones pipe. And sometimes far less. You can find GBDs, Webers, Bertrams, Kaywoodies, Hardcastles, etc in that price range and many look like they have never been smoked. The restoration needed for most is going to cost little. If Bones were marked up more, they would be far out of their value range.

I would have agreed with you a couple of years ago. Estate pipes are more in demand now and in my opinion go for ridiculous prices no matter what condition. The pipe restorer craze has driven that market up. 3-4 years ago I was able to buy the pipes you mentioned for $15-25, now they generally go for $50 or more.

While you’re entitled to your opinion, I really doubt that a modest increase (20%) would kill the market for Bones pipes....

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
When you can get finished Molinas for $39-$47, it might.

Is the average person going to make that connection? Indeed, there are vendors selling these other than Morgan with a markup. And I’ll offer that most people wouldn’t know what a Molina is.

And who really cares. So Morgan doesn’t rate...

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I bought a bones outdoorsman sitter a year or two ago, because all I read were rave reviews. When it showed up, it was much smaller than I anticipated. It smokes alright, I suppose. I rarely smoke it, but I'll probably hang on to it. I also probably wouldn't buy another one. But, if people like theirs, I'm happy for them. It just doesn't seem like this particular pipe and I are a good match.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have a liverpool and a demi-cw. Both excellent for the money. Sturdy, perfect drilling, smoke great.

and watching them color is so fun

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I have three and the stems are a miss for me, even the best of those three is too big and I don't really smoke any of them. They really are quite large bits when I compare them to any of my other pipes. I have one straight apple, a bent brandy type, and a saddle stem billiard - that is to say, none which are the signature stubby style he's most known for.
The sandblast on them is great though (to me anyway) - it's hard to see where else you could get a sandblasted pipe at that price. (This is where I hope I'm wrong and folks jump in with cool sandblasted pipes under $50).