PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
EDBBC940-A856-4A0D-8CAB-ED0EEE1F6913.jpeg
Just started this book on this most passionate of countrymen. Grew up watching his TV programmes from the 70’s till his death.
His observations on change in the British countryside have sadly came true. There is a quote on Jack’s many broadcasts “When they finally cover Britain with concrete, they will have something to remind them of what it was all about” National Film Archive
He loved his pipe and baccy, often a Falcon and he always smoked Gallagher’s Honey Rub.
Happy smokes.
Ettrick puffer

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
After reading Simon Winchester's excellent 'Exactly' (a book about precision) I now move on to his 'The Men Who United The States: The Amazing Stories Of The Explorers, Inventors & Mavericks Who Made America'.

I've read many of Winchester's books and have yet to read a duffer. A Brit who now lives in America, his books are extremely popular both sides of the Atlantic.

Regards,

Jay.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I guess in my continuing review of the classics I will try the 14th book in the Perry Mason series by Erle Stanley Gardner, "The Perjured Parrot". Only 66 more after that.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Just finishing Vincent Starrett's The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.
Starting Rex Stout's Before Midnight, the next book being read by our Nero Wolfe "Black Orchids" group.

Reactions: Carol and edger

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
View attachment 71115
Just started this book on this most passionate of countrymen. Grew up watching his TV programmes from the 70’s till his death.
His observations on change in the British countryside have sadly came true. There is a quote on Jack’s many broadcasts “When they finally cover Britain with concrete, they will have something to remind them of what it was all about” National Film Archive
He loved his pipe and baccy, often a Falcon and he always smoked Gallagher’s Honey Rub.
Happy smokes.
Ettrick puffer
Great programs that I found by accident. Sad about his predictions re the countryside, but Britain still looks lovely to me.
His dangling Falcon appeals!

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
Great programs that I found by accident. Sad about his predictions re the countryside, but Britain still looks lovely to me.
His dangling Falcon appeals!
Yes Jack was a proper countryman and we are still blessed to have many areas of outstanding beauty. The main worry is that our little island is becoming over populated and the urban sprawl is invading our countryside. He did love his Falcon pipes and I can still remember watching Jack on TV with my Dad smoking his Falcon pipe. It’s scary how time flies as that must have been over forty years ago!
All the best mate?
Ettrick puffer

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Little Snow Landscape by the Swiss writer Robert Walser, translated by Tom Whalen, published by New York Review of Books Classic Original series. These are short prose pieces that are entirely separate, with different characters and subjects, that come together as a novel (if you let them). They are sort of like psalms, and sort of like mathematical proofs in prose notation. Heavy ... but also amusing and tremendously energetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.