What is Your Favorite House Blend at a B&M?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
You're right, many jarred blends in pipe shops are blends by Lane, Sutliff, and Peter Stokkebye, etc., re-named to make them seem like house blends, to make you come back to the store to get more. Tinder Box has always done that.
That’s how I found Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake. Arnold’s in Manhattan just called it Twist Flake as a house blend. I later sussed it out and bought it in bulk.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Pipe tobacco is nearly extinct in Los Angeles. B&M blends are extinct here. Even when there were still pipe shoppes here, house made blends were largely long gone. There was Kramers and the original Tinder Box in Santa Monica, everything else was relabeled McClelland, Lane, or Sutliff. When I got into pipe smoking there were a lot of options, a number of pipe shops that did their own blending. That was then.

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Why yes, it is. I am standing on Shelter Island. My favorite get away to dine and smoke.
When I was called up for Desert Storm, I found a house at the crest of Xenophon with an incredible view of the city, the bay, and the ocean. My fiancé and I used to go down to Shelter Island to walk in the evenings. Lots of dinners at Humphreys. Bali Hai was lousy, back in the nineties, but the last few times we were there, it had improved significantly.E7354211-D7E1-4117-BA4C-D0D67A9791FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: telescopes

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
If I recall, there was a two drink limit on the Mai Tais.
Yes, it is pure rum with ice and a hint of sweet and sour. The fumes can burn off your eyebrows. But I love them. The food now has been upgraded but I miss Chicken of the Gods. The interior has been refurbished and she is once again the princess of the island. We usually stay at one of the suites at the Island Palms with a balcony overlooking the marina. Paradise has NOT been turned into a parking lot.

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Scottish Bucc - Edward's Pipe Shop, Tampa, FL. Good smoke from an excellent pipe shop. This place is surely a unicorn, to have survived the Florida pipe tobacco tax rate. Despite this, Edwards is thriving!
Interesting thing here in FL is that threes no state cigar tax, but pipe tobacco tax rate is at 85%. Now that's absolutely bat-crap crazy! ?

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
Sir English from Edwards Pipe &Tobacco in Tampa. Just so happens I was able to pick up some when I met up with the guys. It’s the closest I’ve smoked to an English blend I got years back from Iwan Ries.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Scottish Bucc - Edward's Pipe Shop, Tampa, FL. Good smoke from an excellent pipe shop. This place is surely a unicorn, to have survived the Florida pipe tobacco tax rate. Despite this, Edwards is thriving!
Interesting thing here in FL is that threes no state cigar tax, but pipe tobacco tax rate is at 85%. Now that's absolutely bat-crap crazy! ?
What does Florida have against old people?

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
When I lived in Connecticut it was Chief Catoonah tobacconist in Ridgefield. Got my first job there when I was 14 back in the 70's. Worked every Saturday for $25, cleaning shop and weighing and packing tobacco in tuna for the next week's sales. My first pipe was a basket bulldog, and the owner at the time (Jim Cannatelli) let me try Blackwatch, a black cav. I was a kid and it never became a fav. Many years later when Dick Silverman owned the place I tried I found Baily's Blend. That did become a fav and I still have some. Dick passed and the shop is gone. Now here in Massachusetts...

Tried Peretti a few times over the years and I understand they know tobacco too, but the place never had enuf warmth and appeal for me to bother going into Boston and finding Parking. 20 some years ago I did enjoy David P. Erlich in their shop by the park before it closed. Still have some DPE from that time but it was never a fav for me.

Today I enjoy going to Watch City from time to time. My son and I visit Ernie, and my favorite blend of his is Rythm & Blues. He knows tobacco, knows how to source good base tobacco and blend it, and knows alot of the people from the hobby that I know (and knew) and he is a good host.

Status
Not open for further replies.