PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
You’re talking also about two completely different manufacturers. I’m talking about C&D. So if the same company presses a product yes, it’s the same product.
I see your point. I would like to add that even if they were the same ingredients, pressing, either hot or cold, can still change flavors and smoking characteristics.

View attachment 63535
Apparently same ingredients
You know, there are several different varieties of Red Virginia, and many more varieties of burley, and many more varieties of cavendish... and despite what many think, there are a few periques to choose from also. There are also many different ratio combinations.
The copy work on a tin just isn't very precise at all. It's really not worth wagering on what is printed on them.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
You know, there are several different varieties of Red Virginia, and many more varieties of burley, and many more varieties of cavendish... and despite what many think, there are a few periques to choose from also. There are also many different ratio combinations.
The copy work on a tin just isn't very precise at all. It's really not worth wagering on what is printed on them.
Yeah but it's from C&D, so 1 bright Virginia, 3 red Virginias, 1 white burley, 1 dark burley, etc, etc.

No offense to C&D, I like their products.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
C&D doesn't have a bunch of grades of tobacco sitting around, all the blends are made from a limited number of components they use.
This is what I mean. Now if you were talking Mac Baren I’d believe you (about different varieties etc). But C&D doesn’t have crapola for selection of leaf.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
This is what I mean. Now if you were talking Mac Baren I’d believe you (about different varieties etc). But C&D doesn’t have crapola for selection of leaf.
I like what they do have, I don't think it's low quality or anything, and various procedures and processing can make it in to many different excellent products, but it's not like Mac Baren where they have enough stock to find random pallets and bales of tobacco from years gone by, like "Oh hey, this stack of Virginias is actually from 1983, let's use this."

Yeah but it's from C&D, so 1 bright Virginia, 3 red Virginias, 1 white burley, 1 dark burley, etc, etc.

No offense to C&D, I like their products.
Those are just what they have to offer in blending tobaccos, but they have a lot of very specialty blends that use some pretty exotic stuff. I don't mean that that aren't using those, just saying that they could be using a blend of burleys or a blend of reds, or something special set aside for Greg. I'm pretty sure C&D can get as complex as needed.
And, I have no idea why someone would bank on MacBarens having more of a selection. We grow more varietals in the US than anywhere else in the world.

Not a C&D fanboy, but jus' sayin'

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
C&D doesn't have a bunch of grades of tobacco sitting around, all the blends are made from a limited number of components they use.
Maybe. Then the all-around quality has tanked, otherwise why would they have assassinated Blairgowrie?

Yet it still doesn't make sense, as higher-quality grades of leaf seem to be slated for Sun Bear and other "showcase" blends.

Reactions: BROBS

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
And, I have no idea why someone would bank on MacBarens having more of a selection. We grow more varietals in the US than anywhere else in the world.

Not a C&D fanboy, but jus' sayin'
Doesn't Mac Baren have access to all the US varietals also, with much greater buying power? Even if they didn't, there's a lot of non-American tobacco to choose from.

Screenshot_20210201-131441_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: BROBS

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Maybe. Then the all-around quality has tanked, otherwise why would they have assassinated Blairgowrie?

Yet it still doesn't make sense, as higher-quality grades of leaf seem to be slated for Sun Bear and other "showcase" blends.
I honestly couldn't give my opinion on old vs new Blairgowrie without smoking them, I haven't, so I will not rule out the possibility. Just going by what is said in the C&D vids.

Reactions: BROBS and greeneyes

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I honestly couldn't give my opinion on old vs new Blairgowrie without smoking them, I haven't, so I will not rule out the possibility. Just going by what is said in the C&D vids.
I wish I could send it to you without filling out a customs form. I wonder if @jiminks would volunteer to do a side-by-side comparison of the old and new Blairgowrie.

Assuming I'm right, consider the significance of it. Blairgowrie is one of their best-selling, flagship tobaccos. They completely downgraded the quality of the ingredients: it's unrecognizable. If they would do something like that to a flagship brand, what, if anything, is safe?

I'd love a flake similar to Haddo's.
I would too, but I also know that in the past when Greg pressed Robusto into a flake and labelled it Key Largo, he told us all up front.... mostly because pressing it changed the flavor considerably. I would think that Greg would have said something... well... he has been a scaredy cat to come on the forums for the last few years. Which, I am not sure why, he always gets the best of his opponents in a debate of wits, and he knows how to spin a complaint or criticism into a win for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.