PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Just saw this. Cased with rum. Interesting...

“Windjammer combines naturally sweet, ripe Virginias, nutty Burleys, toasted Black Cavendish, and a generous measure of Perique, married together with a splash of dark rum.“

On sale Friday the 12th.
93E99EF7-E05F-4005-A41B-D595AEC451D2.jpeg

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I observe a situation wherein:

[1] there is a finite quantity of quality leaf, and
[2] there is a company with a growing portfolio of pipe tobaccos

I also observe that the quality of flagship blends, like Drucquer & Sons Blairgowrie has deteriorated significantly over time (in this instance I have the "old" and "new" tobacco to prove it).

Thus, I can only conclude that the best quality leaf is earmarked for new blends within an expanding portfolio in order to create a consumer base, and this reapportionment of quality leaf is made at the expense of certain long-standing blends in the portfolio that have established consumer bases.

Tobacco is a tough business.

• Wow
Reactions: Casual and Elric

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I observe a situation wherein:

[1] there is a finite quantity of quality leaf, and
[2] there is a company with a growing portfolio of pipe tobaccos

I also observe that the quality of flagship blends, like Drucquer & Sons Blairgowrie has deteriorated significantly over time (in this instance I have the "old" and "new" tobacco to prove it).

Thus, I can only conclude that the best quality leaf is earmarked for new blends within an expanding portfolio in order to create a consumer base, and this reapportionment of quality leaf is made at the expense of certain long-standing blends in the portfolio that have established consumer bases.

Tobacco is a tough business.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Pressed Haddos? Maybe, but Haddos is sweet and has some plum topping going on too.

Reactions: BROBS

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
"Same ingredients" in no way implies that blends will be more than marginally similar. Heck, Penzance and Early Morning Pipe have the same ingredients as far as I recall. Nobody calls Penzance "Pressed EMP".

I'm pretty excited about this, but not inordinately so. Mostly I'm just glad people still release new blends amidst all the doom and gloom surrounding the future of pipe tobacco.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Even with my nautical interest and love of rum, I can't find any desire to buy it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
"Same ingredients" in no way implies that blends will be more than marginally similar. Heck, Penzance and Early Morning Pipe have the same ingredients as far as I recall. Nobody calls Penzance "Pressed EMP".

I'm pretty excited about this, but not inordinately so. Mostly I'm just glad people still release new blends amidst all the doom and gloom surrounding the future of pipe tobacco.
I call Penzance a salt encrusted turd.
do they call capstan ready rubbed a different name from the flake?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

You’re talking also about two completely different manufacturers. I’m talking about C&D. So if the same company presses a product yes, it’s the same product.

Status
Not open for further replies.