PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
My "cellar", which I had considered modest, had gotten to the point where I couldn't remember what I had in there. So I spent a few hours to organize and log in Excel (I haven't been able to use the online tool). To my mild horror I discovered I have 69 opened tins, comprised of 54 different blends from 22 different brands, total of 7.75 pounds of tobacco, all in addition to the 30 or so jars have opened (probably another 5 pounds). I know to many of you this is a pittance, but the accumulation of this much tobacco in 2 years is disturbing to me given my smoking rate. Interesting to see the breakdown of blend types -- 40% English/Balkan with one tin of "Scottish", 30% different types of VA blends (with VaPers accounting for 1/2 of that), about 15% aro, and the rest being cigar, straight burley (only 3 tins - need to fix!) and oriental.

I guess I am a cellar wide rather than deep guy. Are others anal retentive enough to catalog their cellars.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I've got a pretty good spreadsheet set up for what I have in sealed tins and "to age" jars. I even put in a few formulas so I know the total weight, and how many years it will last at different smoking rates. It's kinda cool to be able to sort the list by different variables, like oldest to newest, brand, blend, etc.

As for my open jarred-up tins (at least 50) and bulk blending tobacco, I don't have a clue - only my memory and the odd guess.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I use Tobacco Cellar to keep track. I'm deep on a few things but mostly very very wide. It's a commitment problem. The way to ensure I'll get bored of any blend is to buy 20 tins of it. For me it's more fun to try something different than to pull out a tin of the same blend I've had a million times before. Sure, there's a risk to going wide but I can live with the idea that I might run out of something in the future.

Yes. I maintain an excel. I remember most of though at a high level, what I have so that excel is to confirm what I know.

I have also been smoking for about 2 years, though I started in 2017. I have around 45 lbs is sealed tins and jars, and another 3 pounds in open tins / jars.

Also a cellar wide type of a person. Last time I checked I had 132 unique blends, which I estimate to have grown to 170 blends by now. I have mostly stopped going wide, and in the future will mostly go deep.

PipeDad33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
Kansas
Dear god ... This is where I'm headed. My wife got a glimpse at my cellar recently and it left her speechless. I think she's planning an intervention.
That sounds like my wife, and I only have about 2 1/2 lbs so far (mainly SPC and H&H blends).Yes it's pathetic I know, but boy is she in for a surprise in about 1 year from now.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
All this wide and deep talk is exciting. What forum is this?

Well, I’m at 14.5 cans of Granger... with more to come.

Now, as to my red-headed-step-children...

Full Tubs:
Carter Hall (2)
Prince Albert (1)
LLRR (1)
SugarBarrel (1)

Unopened Tins:
MacBaren Norwood (10)
Burley London Blend (1)
Escudo (1)
Aged Burley Flake (1)
Old Joe Kranz (1)
Pegasus (1)
Haunted Bookshop (1)
Royal Yacht (1)
Orlik Golden Slice (1)
Sutliff 1849 (1)
HH Old Dark Fired (1)
MB Virginia # 1 (1)

12 Mason Jars of many no longer in production blends.

31samples, of one ounce or less, of various oddities. Thanks, Jim!

That was both easier and harder than I thought. ?

Jun 9, 2018
England
I use tobacco cellar and pen & paper to keep track.
My cellar is wide but not that deep apart from a few blends like Warrior and PPP.

At the moment I have 153 unique blends which are 80% from the US and Germany. I'm pretty much done with ordering there now and I'm gonna concentrate on building up the Gawith and Germain's blends which I don't have nearly enough of and are readily available over here.

I always thought the Gawith tobaccos would be easy to get but with flavour bans a possibility in the future I'm gonna start stocking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.