PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I recently finished an excellent book about the eastern front in the Second World War. In it, there were numerous references to something called makhorka, a 'coarse and very strong tobacco grown in the Ukraine and Russia.'

One such reference

"Gottlob Bidermann told how he and his comrades would cut the tobacco for their pipes, but they discussed at length how to obtain the best aroma. One claimed that it is best after soaked in fig juice, while another firmly asserted that corn schnapps was the answer."

Does anyone have first hand experience with the stuff?

Aug 1, 2012
In the past and even today Makhorka tobacco has been sold in Russia and Ukraine , it comes with various strength from 1-to 3 / Makhorka nro 3 /traditionally this tobacco is cube cut ,leaf variety Nicotina Rusticum
it has also been cultivated and still is in the rural areas
You wouldn't happen to know the actual Russian spelling of Makhorka would you?

No idea, but I am anxious to hear...
Enthralled GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@mikethompson I have never had the cube cut stuff as described on here. The stuff I smoked was very fine cut and dry and very black if my memory serves me correctly. I used to have to add a slice of apple or damp toilet paper and leave it over night to make it pliable for RYO purposes. To make cigarettes out of Makhorka you would use the French rice cigarette paper in the double packs with the flip lid being used to form the papirosi tube of the smoke. I have not seen the stuff for sale in years. It burns way too hot for a pipe and it has the most distinct smell that you will never forget.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Trouble with that stuff is that it glows in the dark and you cannot tell if it is your tobacco glowing or burning. Also those rays it puts out cause your nostril hairs to fall out!

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@warren Belomorkanal in the blue cardboard boxes. I loved the ritual of squashing the tube to form a mouthpiece. There was a more expensive brand that came in a tin with a toboggan in the snow scene on the lid whose name eludes me. You know 750 ML of Moskovskaya vodka, couple of dried sausages, loaf of black bread and a cartoon of those Soviet firecracker cigarettes and you could have a pretty good time.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
@warren Belomorkanal in the blue cardboard boxes. I loved the ritual of squashing the tube to form a mouthpiece. There was a more expensive brand that came in a tin with a toboggan in the snow scene on the lid whose name eludes me. You know 750 ML of Moskovskaya vodka, couple of dried sausages, loaf of black bread and a cartoon of those Soviet firecracker cigarettes and you could have a pretty good time.
These are the cigarettes, @jiminks

Reactions: JimInks

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There was a rather weird pipe tobacco as well that always smelled like you had set fire to a trash can. It came in a paper packet with cellophane covering and the wrapper was maybe a yellowish color. Anyway I am sure the Russians have a tonne of choices these days. Wonderful people. Very generous with the most beautiful women just not good at picking sane leaders!

Status
Not open for further replies.