PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Oh charf and I shared a bowl. And Morton briar and I smoke together most weeks...sometimes daily.

you’re living in the wrong city. Bay of plenty is the epicentre of smoking

Reactions: pruss

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Yep, still here. My burley plants are now 1 foot high!

All goes well bro, and your Burley leaves will be that big when all is said and done.

Have you connected with Cosmicfolkore on the ins and outs of tobacco cultivation, harvest and processing?

— Pat

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
All goes well bro, and your Burley leaves will be that big when all is said and done.

Have you connected with Cosmicfolkore on the ins and outs of tobacco cultivation, harvest and processing?

— Pat
I’m only growing it for fun. Not sure what I’m going to do with it or if I will even have the time. Has been interesting so far. A lot of effort initially.

Reactions: Ahi Ka and pruss

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I’m only growing it for fun. Not sure what I’m going to do with it or if I will even have the time. Has been interesting so far. A lot of effort initially.
I look forward to sharing a bowl and a yarn with you one day, Charf.

— Pat

Reactions: charf

FattyG

Lurker
May 16, 2021
New Zealand
Wellingtonian here, looking to get into pipe smoking as a midlife crisis hobby haha. I have ordered a Falcon pipe etc, but looking at the price of tobacco in NZ has been a bit of a downer after getting all excited about this! Are we really talking $120/30g minimum? And I've only found two brands available. Wow. This is looking like it will have to be a once a week thing for me at that rate. Is there anywhere cheaper that I'm not aware of?

Reactions: anotherbob

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Wellingtonian here, looking to get into pipe smoking as a midlife crisis hobby haha. I have ordered a Falcon pipe etc, but looking at the price of tobacco in NZ has been a bit of a downer after getting all excited about this! Are we really talking $120/30g minimum? And I've only found two brands available. Wow. This is looking like it will have to be a once a week thing for me at that rate. Is there anywhere cheaper that I'm not aware of?
Canteros is your best bet for pipe tobacco this side of the boarder unless you want to take up growing at the same time. From memory a falcon bowl fits about 1.5-2g of tobacco, so even at the average (albeit ludicrous) $160per 50g price, a bowl a day is still cheaper than your flat white.

welcome from Tauranga anyways bro!

FattyG

Lurker
May 16, 2021
New Zealand
Canteros is your best bet for pipe tobacco this side of the boarder unless you want to take up growing at the same time. From memory a falcon bowl fits about 1.5-2g of tobacco, so even at the average (albeit ludicrous) $160per 50g price, a bowl a day is still cheaper than your flat white.

welcome from Tauranga anyways bro!
Thanks Ahi! I made a typo - I meant $120/50g. So, Canterros has way more choice that what I've found so far (yay!), but it's even more expensive (I'd only seen these prices at discountt: https://www.discountt.co.nz/shop/TOBACCO/PIPE+TOBACCO?cat=00988.html). Unfortunately not sure you're right about the flat white, even at Wellington standards a flat white is $4.50, but 50g/2g = 25 bowls, $160/25 = $6.40. I'm splitting hairs I guess, but anyway that's why I don't buy flat whites every day :)

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Thanks Ahi! I made a typo - I meant $120/50g. So, Canterros has way more choice that what I've found so far (yay!), but it's even more expensive (I'd only seen these prices at discountt: https://www.discountt.co.nz/shop/TOBACCO/PIPE+TOBACCO?cat=00988.html). Unfortunately not sure you're right about the flat white, even at Wellington standards a flat white is $4.50, but 50g/2g = 25 bowls, $160/25 = $6.40. I'm splitting hairs I guess, but anyway that's why I don't buy flat whites every day :)
I used 30 falcon bowls per 50g as my measurement :)

Id say that erinmore mixture would be a good blend to start with. My understanding is that the current flake is the same as the mixture anyways. It used to be different. Please don’t buy that borkum riff.

A lot of us kiwi smokers have had to make pipe smoking a weekend hobby. If you haven’t come from smoking cigarettes, I’d say start by only a few bowls a week and keep it less unaffordable.

FattyG

Lurker
May 16, 2021
New Zealand
I used 30 falcon bowls per 50g as my measurement :)

Id say that erinmore mixture would be a good blend to start with. My understanding is that the current flake is the same as the mixture anyways. It used to be different. Please don’t buy that borkum riff.

A lot of us kiwi smokers have had to make pipe smoking a weekend hobby. If you haven’t come from smoking cigarettes, I’d say start by only a few bowls a week and keep it less unaffordable.
Fair enough! It is depressing what's happened to the price. I haven't smoked since I was 17 and the price of tobacco doubled overnight (1997?) so I don't intend to smoke mountains, but it just looks like the price is going to keep going up and up until no one can afford it and no one bothers importing it any more right?? If that's the case then I should probably stop right now before I get hooked haha. I do understand why the nanny state wants to get rid of smoking, but I do think trusting people to make their own adult decisions can be a good thing...

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Fair enough! It is depressing what's happened to the price. I haven't smoked since I was 17 and the price of tobacco doubled overnight (1997?) so I don't intend to smoke mountains, but it just looks like the price is going to keep going up and up until no one can afford it and no one bothers importing it any more right?? If that's the case then I should probably stop right now before I get hooked haha. I do understand why the nanny state wants to get rid of smoking, but I do think trusting people to make their own adult decisions can be a good thing...
Cupojoes say that you can still import plug and rope cut tobaccos to NZ via their shipping policy. Maybe give them an email to enquire about this?

FattyG

Lurker
May 16, 2021
New Zealand
Cupojoes say that you can still import plug and rope cut tobaccos to NZ via their shipping policy. Maybe give them an email to enquire about this?
That's interesting...I assume they'd still be subject to ridiculous customs charges regardless though...$86 per 50g lol. Will look into it anyway :)