Can You Smoke Chewing Tobacco In A Pipe? (Yes)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Have seen that question posted several times and had a little spare time to give the experiment a try. Truth be told, I have done this before sitting on a Fire Base in Iraq with nothing better to do. Through trial and many errors I have found this works best. The tobacco does require some processing though. Have done it with Red Man but this time I used Bull of The Woods.
#1- Separate the pieces best you can, put in a container and fill with water (to remove the molasses). Stir till water is black. Drain, rinse, repeat till the water is the color of tea.
#2- Drain and press as much water out as you can. Dry on paper towel anyway of your choosing (sun, air).
#3- Make pieces small enough to fit in the pipe and let er rip tater chip.
I will say that it is much harder to get going, it’ll take 3 or 4 try’s. Once going it burns slow and cool. The flavor is very mild woody, vegetative with a very slight burley profile......really not bad!
So, there you go! I’ve done it for y’all so no one else needs to suffer through it:ROFLMAO:
1086CF2B-AF65-467E-9719-F6957F5E3F9A.jpeg6D7C66FB-9C0B-48E2-971D-56D11F381BF0.jpeg7A99C918-BE6A-4CC4-8311-5BF00E3FA361.jpegE72C2677-E05F-46C9-9571-47689524CE02.jpeg

I wouldn't recommend Red Man or any of the packs of chewing tobacco, because of the added flavors, but most other chewing tobaccos came from teh notion of crossover tobaccos. They were pipe tobaccos that miners would smoke on top of the dirt, and then they would chew it underneath the dirt, because of risk of explosions (they didn't want to use fire).
Usually the twists like this...
1603912699142.png
Are some of the best smokes. This one in particular is a favorite of mine. It is a Rustica blend that has a strong cigarish flavor when smoked, and it blows away most of the commercial tobaccos in nicotine. I will smoke it before bed, and sometimes fall asleep in my chair, before i can make it to bed. But, any twist that can be chewed can also be smoked. And, mist are still made in Ma and Pa type companies, so they usually are only available locally. I have to get a fellow forum member to mail some to me, because my state doesn't allow chewing tobaccos to me mailed, but pipe tobacco is ok to mail... go figure.

If anyone lives near somewhere that carries Cotton Boll, please hit me up. I am almost out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Or if you don't have the time, buy a tub of Granger, with the lingering molasses already added but just detectable. That was an interesting experiment. There's no end to the stuff we learned in the military.

My wife’s peeps live in Eastern Kentucky, I keep trying to get them to send me some of the legendary twists from around there. Cant find them online very easily.
and, if you can get some, hit me up. Maybe I can get someone to mail me a personal person to person on it. They won't mail it to Alabama. :(

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
and, if you can get some, hit me up. Maybe I can get someone to mail me a personal person to person on it. They won't mail it to Alabama. :(
Will do, got one of our “adopted” kids coming down from western Kentucky next month. Will try and use her as a pack mule!

Last edited: