PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
How are those Regalias, and why do you suppose they're so much cheaper than HU Half Coronas?
I like them they have the typical Upmann taste profile. I am not sure I will ever understand Habanos SA pricing. I like things in the 38-44 ring gauge area and from brand to brand the prices are all over the place. My favorite was the now discontinued H Upmann Petit Corona. These are about the same and much less expensive than those were.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I think the pricing on the Regalias can be explained by the fact that it was a machine-made cigar prior to '02 when all Habanos S.A. cigars became handmade. Like, the Regalias (and Majestics) were considered cheapies and the Petit Coronas were "premium" and priced differently despite being basically the same size. The Half
Corona was released well past 2002 and therefore doesn't have to deal with that pre-'02 baggage, so basically it's always been premium. You can see something
similar with Partagas. The Shorts (premium) are more expensive than the Petit Corona Especiales, Aristocrats, Super Partagas (all previously machine-made) despite the Shorts being smaller. I really doubt there is any type of quality difference these days now that they're all handmade. The pricing is just a relic of a time when there was.

Just my guess anyway. I know a lot of people were bummed about the Petit Corona going away so the Regalias being a fine, good value substitute is great news. I like the Majestics (5.5" x 40) too.

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
ptzVtvkl.jpg

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Having one of those “Man o War Ruination Robusto #2” cigars I won on auction right now. The draw through the unlit cigar was great, nice draw, and loads of cocoa powder notes, with a little spice on the lips. So far, the flavor after lighting is good, but pretty flat. @ChuckMijo said these were good, but not great. I think sums it up pretty well. They were pretty inexpensive, though, so maybe a good “yard ‘gar,” or something to hand out to buddies. The crooked burn is my fault. It was windy when I was lighting it. It’s starting to correct.
image.jpg

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I think the pricing on the Regalias can be explained by the fact that it was a machine-made cigar prior to '02 when all Habanos S.A. cigars became handmade. Like, the Regalias (and Majestics) were considered cheapies and the Petit Coronas were "premium" and priced differently despite being basically the same size. The Half
Corona was released well past 2002 and therefore doesn't have to deal with that pre-'02 baggage, so basically it's always been premium. You can see something
similar with Partagas. The Shorts (premium) are more expensive than the Petit Corona Especiales, Aristocrats, Super Partagas (all previously machine-made) despite the Shorts being smaller. I really doubt there is any type of quality difference these days now that they're all handmade. The pricing is just a relic of a time when there was.

Just my guess anyway. I know a lot of people were bummed about the Petit Corona going away so the Regalias being a fine, good value substitute is great news. I like the Majestics (5.5" x 40) too.
Thanks as always for the excellent insight. That makes a crazy kind of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.