PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In over 20 years I have never seen mold. My tobacco stays at temp and humidity that don't change. '
You guys know that you are not supposed to open tins and fart in them and that the bulks aren't supposed to be used as pillows between your legs at night.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I just received a 250 gram box of SG Brown #4. A good bit of solid mold growth on about a quarter of it. The seller is out of stock, so I guess I'll keep trying for another six months to get some, sigh. I'd buy the tins, but they're just as unobtainable to me. Fortunately I still have a couple very old tins of it my cellar, and one opened one transferred to mason jar, so I'm still good for a while.

Yeah, this was a bad batch. There have just been too many reportings of mold for it to be isolated to a particular retailer, blend, or packaging (tin vs. box). If this were C&D instead of SG there would have been a recall by now.

I pulled the trigger on six 250 g boxes and thankfully was able to cancel the order before they were shipped to me. If only one or two reported mold perhaps I would have rolled the dice, but it's been common both here and elsewhere.

At any rate...sorry to hear about your box.

Reactions: --dante--
Oct 7, 2016
Thanks. That's good to know. It's a peculiar change for SG to make though. Even if they don't want to encourage cellaring by date stamping their tins, it seems problematic to have a date stamp inside a tin. How does that help with quality control or recall issues?

They were not even aware this had happened until a UK shop Inquired. By that time the US shipment had left. Won’t be repeated.

Reactions: litup

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
When I first started pipe smoking, I started with skiff and really, really enjoyed it. Is there another more easily accessible tobacco that scratches some of the same itch?

Oct 7, 2016
Several vendors have had this problem. I think the problem rests with Gawith.
Shipment left the UK 6/15, cleared customs first week of July, was right at the very end of August when orders started being taken for all but a couple of sellers (Boswell, Smoking Pipes).

While any shipment anywhere, including the UK, might have some mold issues, the only market where the company ships to where these problems seem really significant is the US. Gawith’s distributors are, except in the UK, independent businesses. As has been widely noted, they are working through changing distributors.

I got 6 boxes and 13 tins this drop, no mold, 1 popped tin which I decided to keep anyway. 5 vendors. I have had two boxes of moldy Best Brown, different drops, different date code, different shops, in 2017 -18. I have bought factory bags, boxes, and tins, and loose tobacco from shops, including several shipments from UK shops years ago, since circa 1985 and those two boxes were the only time I experienced mold.

Don’t get me wrong, in that period of time I have had other disappointments, such as getting a bag or box that was way to dry, even for me. But even though the machinery is antiquated, the GH factory isn’t a hot bed where mold is even close to being rampant. (I have heard that the old SG works did have a real issue some years before the merger.)

Gawith could have a fully automated packing operation if they sold out to, say, MacBarens, K&K or STG. Otherwise, acquiring fully automated packing equipment isn’t economically feasible. Such equipment exists, but it simply is designed for much higher volumes. I doubt 1792 or Bob’s Chocolate would taste the same if made by one of the majors.

It has been widely reported that manufacturers who reliably deliver a mold free product from, say, Germany, are reducing the % of Perique in blends such as HU Directors Cut and Peter Heinrichs Curly Block. They aren’t advertising this downgrade nor are they reducing the price. But you as a consumer can choose to buy an artisan product, put up with some aggravation, or not.

Me? I buy and enjoy lots of different things.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Shipment left the UK 6/15, cleared customs first week of July, was right at the very end of August when orders started being taken for all but a couple of sellers (Boswell, Smoking Pipes).

While any shipment anywhere, including the UK, might have some mold issues, the only market where the company ships to where these problems seem really significant is the US. Gawith’s distributors are, except in the UK, independent businesses. As has been widely noted, they are working through changing distributors.

I got 6 boxes and 13 tins this drop, no mold, 1 popped tin which I decided to keep anyway. 5 vendors. I have had two boxes of moldy Best Brown, different drops, different date code, different shops, in 2017 -18. I have bought factory bags, boxes, and tins, and loose tobacco from shops, including several shipments from UK shops years ago, since circa 1985 and those two boxes were the only time I experienced mold.

Don’t get me wrong, in that period of time I have had other disappointments, such as getting a bag or box that was way to dry, even for me. But even though the machinery is antiquated, the GH factory isn’t a hot bed where mold is even close to being rampant. (I have heard that the old SG works did have a real issue some years before the merger.)

Gawith could have a fully automated packing operation if they sold out to, say, MacBarens, K&K or STG. Otherwise, acquiring fully automated packing equipment isn’t economically feasible. Such equipment exists, but it simply is designed for much higher volumes. I doubt 1792 or Bob’s Chocolate would taste the same if made by one of the majors.

It has been widely reported that manufacturers who reliably deliver a mold free product from, say, Germany, are reducing the % of Perique in blends such as HU Directors Cut and Peter Heinrichs Curly Block. They aren’t advertising this downgrade nor are they reducing the price. But you as a consumer can choose to buy an artisan product, put up with some aggravation, or not.

Me? I buy and enjoy lots of different things.
I have no problem with returning and getting another box, were that at all possible. But since it took six months for me to luck into being able to place a single order for one box, and the vendor is out and can't replace it, I think I'll wait until a time (if ever) that SG products are readily available again here in the US. If such a time comes, I have no problem playing Mold Roulette to get a box of Brown #4.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Would you please post a link for some of those reports? I know perique is being used less in overseas blends. In fact, a friend told me a few days ago that Old Fredder's has less perique in it now, too.

Reactions: 3rdguy
Oct 7, 2016
I have no problem with returning and getting another box, were that at all possible. But since it took six months for me to luck into being able to place a single order for one box, and the vendor is out and can't replace it, I think I'll wait until a time (if ever) that SG products are readily available again here in the US. If such a time comes, I have no problem playing Mold Roulette to get a box of Brown #4.

I get the frustration. I damn near ran out of Best Brown until I finally scored some in 2019 after returning two boxes.

Oct 7, 2016
Would you please post a link for some of those reports? I know perique is being used less in overseas blends. In fact, a friend told me a few days ago that Old Fredder's has less perique in it now, too.

PM sent, but you have mentioned Curly Block and Directors Cut.

Reactions: JimInks

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I was not aware of mold issues until a month ago. I've been buying Samuel Gawith for years and never had a problem. Last few weeks have brought me 2 boxes of Golden Glow and 2 of FVF and no issues but comments like these about mold issues will keep me from purchasing more. SG really should read the pipe boards.......

Oct 7, 2016
I was not aware of mold issues until a month ago. I've been buying Samuel Gawith for years and never had a problem. Last few weeks have brought me 2 boxes of Golden Glow and 2 of FVF and no issues but comments like these about mold issues will keep me from purchasing more. SG really should read the pipe boards.......
They get feedback. Believe me, they view this seriously. If you don’t believe any other statement you read on pipe boards, believe those previous sentences.

Reactions: musicman and seanv

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
When I first started pipe smoking, I started with skiff and really, really enjoyed it. Is there another more easily accessible tobacco that scratches some of the same itch?
Skiff is my all time favorite Balkan/English blend. If you are looking to scratch the same itch I recommend; Balkan Supreme, Balkan Sobranie/759 Match blends by Sutliff and even GL Pease Samarra. Now keep in mind that none of these can possibly replace Skiff Mixture but you will probably enjoy them if you love Skiff. For me, nothing beats Skiff.

Reactions: hairvise

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No one has mentioned that the Lake District in England is the rainiest region in the UK, or perhaps outside a rain forest. With the climate changes worldwide, I suspect that it is even rainier than usual. So the fact that the Lakelands brands can get most of their blends to retailers with no mold remains a modern miracle.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Skiff is an oriental forward blend with only a hint of Latakia in it. I love this type. The ones I put in the same category, with that tinge of sourness from the orientals are Presbyterian, Rattray’s Red Raparee, McConnell Oriental, and John Cotton #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.