PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
See I love the idea of a churchwarden pipe but for the price of those Auenlands, and they are tempting, but at that level I'd rather spend 100 more or so and have a custom job. Plus I'd really like a convertible one with two stems so I can use it as a normal pipe, and those HCA ones just don't do it for me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've been real tempted by them, especially those Auenlands ?
But held off as I could imagine things going badly waving around a footlong pipe whilst driving..

Guess I'll find out soon as I've an old CobWarden in the post.. ?

See I love the idea of a churchwarden pipe but for the price of those Auenlands, and they are tempting,

The price of those has skyrocketed. I bought the three I had six years ago for $95 each. The chambers were a bit on the small side for me.

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I'm sure they can be an enjoyable smoke. Lots of folks love 'em. I've just never had one capture my eye, they appear clumsy to me. But, that's why pipes come in so many different shapes and sizes. There 's something for most every pipe smoker.
I like how they look more than I like to smoke them. I find them uncomfortable to clench and so I have to hold them. Resting them on my belly is not comfortable for me either.
This is what I'm on the fence about. I like them in theory.?

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
The price of those has skyrocketed. I bought the three I had six years ago for $95 each. The chambers were a bit on the small side for me.
I think most of them are still very responsibly priced for the most part. And yes, I have noticed many of the have very small chamber for such a long pipe. Most of them I've come across have about a one inch chamber, when about a three incher would be better and more balanced.

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Going back to the OP:

"Do you find them particularly relaxing to smoke?

Why do you enjoy them?"

I find them the least relaxing of all my pipes. So I don't enjoy them. I smoke mine once or twice a year, and wouldn't be caught in public with one.
That is my overall though. In theory they look great. I would never take it anywhere in public or to a friends house. I like to use my pipes not just shelve them. But they are interesting.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think most of them are still very responsibly priced for the most part.

Their pricing now veers into artisan territory. The stems appear to be stock as a few I've seen are slightly off in fitting. A bad thing at their current pricing.

Most of them I've come across have about a one inch chamber, when about a three incher would be better and more balanced.

The Aurnlands average about 1.5 inches deep. My Kenan does have a three inch dee chamber though.

IMG_4802__51590.1574218451.jpeg-1.jpg
20200714_130639.jpg

But I've seen enough posts on here claiming they're good for driving with, so I've got to try it at least once ??
I have a great Northern Briars chruchwarden and a Savinelli, but I don't smoke it very often. The problem with driving with it, is that you have to hold it. That ties up one hand, with a precarious thing... whereas when I drive, I prefer to just clench it leaving both hands available to drive and focus on the road. Clenching a churchwarden... well... I want pictures, ha ha.

• Haha
Reactions: Plutz and J.GANDY
Status
Not open for further replies.