PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
Should I be satisfied? Am I wrong in believing I should receive undented tins??! I’m not even sure these will stay sealed so what I gotta jar a pound of Stockton I wanted to cellar in tins? Most of the damn dings are on the sealing edge. I know, I’ll exchange it. Oh wait they don’t have anymore. ?
View attachment 37724
View attachment 37725
So out of 8 I’m left with 3 tins to cellar. ?

First world tobacco problems, bro.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Should I be satisfied? Am I wrong in believing I should receive undented tins??! I’m not even sure these will stay sealed so what I gotta jar a pound of Stockton I wanted to cellar in tins? Most of the damn dings are on the sealing edge. I know, I’ll exchange it. Oh wait they don’t have anymore. ?
View attachment 37724
View attachment 37725
So out of 8 I’m left with 3 tins to cellar. ?

Twist the lids to see if the seal broke. If not and you don't want them, I'd be happy to try to work out a trade with you for all the dented ones.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
So I should expect this with all tobacco tins...
I do understand your frustrations with dented tobacco tins or any other product. When I buy something new, it should arrive in new condition. However, more and more companies are getting extremely relaxed with their packaging. Amazon is infamous for this. It's a calculated decision. They are able to reduce packaging cost and they only need to replace damaged items if people actually complain about it. In more cases than you would believe, most people don't actually complain. It's a win win for them. There is also the situation like this where the customer can complain, but it can't be replaced. So the option for the customer is to either keep the product or return it - typically at their expense - for a refund or credit. The store paying for the return shipping or being able to return to a brick and mortar location of the online vendor are both luxuries that don't exist for most things outside of Amazon, Walmart, Target, and other national chains. Again, a win for the vendor because the customer will likely decide to keep the item to have it and to avoid paying return shipping which in many cases now greatly negates the refund value. There aren't many consumer protections for this kind of stuff that are worth the time and effort to pursue.

I haven't ordered a lot from SmokingPipes.com recently and I have not ever had a problem with them, but their packaging standards have definitely changed. I have purchased one new and three estate pipes from them. The new one and first two estate pipes - all purchased last year - were in bubble wrap inside the pipe sleeve, in more wrap or paper depending on the box size, and then the box itself was bubble wrapped inside the shipping box where the tins were bubble wrapped and everything was held tight with paper. My one order from them these year in May included another estate pipe and it just came with the pipe in the sleeve in some wrap in the pipe box and that was just inside the shipping box with three tins of tobacco. Nothing was wrapped individually and there was minimal packing materials included. Everything arrived okay, so no harm, no foul; they saved some money on the packaging costs and labor. Business is business, but it is frustrating when the service level and care of a good company slips a bit and you feel like they just don't care about your business any more as a result.

Now @BROBS, back to your Mac Baren Stockton problem... I have a few ounces of Lane Hazelnut that I'd be willing to trade for a taste of the Stockton since I couldn't get an order in fast enough! ;)

Last edited:

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
One of my Stockton tins was dented and the box was crushed and all kicked to hell. Not much of a problem as everything else inside was in good condition and the dented tin is the one I'm smoking from first. If it appears the seal is failing and the tobacco is drying out, I'll just transfer to a jar.

I will say after trying all of the stateside vendors, SP appears to have the absolute WORST packing team. At best, I get tins put in the box with a little bit of brown paper - not enough to keep everything snug, mind you, but just enough so they can say they did something. At worst, I've had my mailman tell me to check the contents because he could feel things rolling around and sure enough, the package is more like a baby's rattle than something put together to safely convey a purchase to a valued customer. TP wins the day for packaging, not to mention the classic vendors like Iwan Ries, Watch City, Peretti, Boswell, etc, etc. I'm buying less and less from SP - I'll pay a little more to receive a package shipped a little more securely by a more reliable service than Surepost.

And, yes, the Stockton has a surprising sweet element to it. Not mapley like Dark Twist, but something delightful. I'll be buying more with my next Euro order.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
BROBS you're in a dead zone for surepost. Just cough up the extra shipping money and save yourself the headaches.

Reactions: ofafeather

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
BROBS you're in a dead zone for surepost. Just cough up the extra shipping money and save yourself the headaches.
I will from now on, however it didn’t explain what the $11 “ground” was. I thought it was paying for full shipping. They have now remedied this and the difference is much more reasonable and it says it’s an upgrade to USPS.

Reactions: ofafeather and logs
Status
Not open for further replies.