PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I have lots of pipes that I love, love to smoke, and enjoy thoroughly, but this one is strawberry briar, which adds less aroma to the smoke than traditional briar. The drilling is spot on. The tall narrow cone-shaped chamber gives me the smoking properties that I enjoy the most for Virginias. And, the button and draft are perfect down to the micro-details that Beckers are known for.

This pipe, I can set down into the pipe rest in my truck, fill the gas tank, pay, get back in, and I can count on it coming back to life with just a few gentle puffs and continue smoking without relighting.

It's my magic pipe. puffy

View attachment 15854
Holy shit, that's gorgeous

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
I have a lot of great smoking pipes. But since buying this Vauen Sepion that belonged to fishbanjo a couple of months ago, it has been one of my favorites. I'm not sure how its constructed, but it smokes cool and easy every time with no fuss. I see no reason that this will change as time passes.
View attachment 15878

Nice to hear, seems to me like a case of "the prophet is not without honour except for his own country", because in Germany - at least among ambitious pipe smokers - Vauens enjoy a notoriously bad reputation as putty monsters, mis-drills, design follies and last but not least, they are only produced to market the Vauen filters ;)

I personally don't care about that, I have several which all smoke just fine. So congrats on your Nuremberg (60 km from the place where I live and birthplace of my wife) made beauty!

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
My best smoker is a Stanwell Nanna Ivarsson. One of the few things I regret, pipe-wise, is that I hesitated to buy also the blasted version when I came across it at a pipe shop. Nowadays, you just don't get them any more, I don't know when it was the last tome I've spotted one on eBay...

View attachment 36007
I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy a half sandblasted Nanna Ivarsson design N1 Stanwell pipe when they were available. Back then spending $150 on a pipe seemed like a lot of money.