PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Mods don’t educate or change behavior. They say “quit being dumb”, whether it’s points or pms.
When it gets to the point that a mod has to step in, it’s already too far gone - shouldn’t have occurred in the first place.
Strikes, points, whatever, don’t be a jerk is the objective.
My point, yes.

What I'm simply trying to say is there's no need to overcomplicate things. I was thinking a list of 'offenders' and number of strikes can be kept in a sticky in the moderators forum and be quickly consulted. Then again, if the number of users is too large and so is said list, it might indeed be easier for a Xenforo algorithm to paste an X annotation on a member's profile, seen only by staff.

Reactions: anotherbob

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Sounds like a plan. At least then people know where they stand and aren't surprised when disciplinary action gets handed down. As long as it can be applied fairly and without bias. Whether it's a grouchy codger who has been around forever and is well respected in the community, or a new school young guy with penchant for trollish confrontation, being a dick is still being a dick. Value added and/or years of experience should not offset or excuse poor behavior. (Neither does being "right")

I just hope anyone (myself included) who may receive such warning points has the maturity to accept their own responsibility in whatever conflict may have arisen, make a change, and keep enjoying the nearly anomalous largely civil and pleasant discourse this forum offers.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Question: does the new penal code allow for a citizen's arrest when witnessing wrong-doing?
(BROBS is wanting to know).
Hahaha!

Well, I hope you are joking of course. Scary if you're not, because that underscores my point about snitching only it's now taken to the point of vigilantism. Besides, due to the variegated nature of the members' stances/beliefs, it'd be chaos to let the populace determine what constitutes wrong-doing.

Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
It sounds like some may be a little confused about the system. I may be wrong about that though, but I'll try to clear It up a little anyway.

Points are not automatically given by the forum software. They have to be given by a mod/admin.

When someone breaks the rules, a mod(s) will read what they posted and assess if the violation requires a warning point. If so one will be issued.

Simply reporting someone will not automatically issue a point. All reports are viewed before any actions are taken.

And trust me, if there is an instance where someone has an axe to grind and keeps frivolously reporting someone/people, the odds are more likely that they will be the one on the receiving end of the warning system.

People should only use the report feature for legitimate uses.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Also, the reason that we decided on the point system and the temporary bans is because we DON'T want to be extreme hard asses and we like to give people chances.

Everyone has bad days and sometimes flies off the handle or says something in the heat of the moment that they later regret. This will allow those people chances to cool down and collect themselves and try to prevent it from happening too many times.

But obviously, if someone manages to accrue points like they're collecting gold, then they are a problem and don't need to be here.

Aug 1, 2012
As a person who was told by a mod that he had nothing good to say and wasn't wanted here anymore and should just leave, I don't trust this system as it leaves it to this mod's discretion whether I remain. It leaves it open to targeting which people do whether or not it's right. That's human nature.

Of course this is the @admin playground so he decides who uses the swings and the slides but I wish there was at least a way to defend ourselves if we do something unintentionally. For example, @Pipelady20 got a warning point for I have no idea what and it looks like there is not any way to appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.