Your Very Large Purchase or Your Humongous Cellar.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No massive purchases or vast cellar here. However, I am amused that though my purchases are all really modest, two tins or three bulk blends, I manage to order often enough so I always stay progressively more ahead of my tobacco use. If I bought no more tobacco, at this rate, my modest stash will last for years, and I have backlogged some now-snazzy blends that were once commonplace but now are discontinued, a few McClellands, some Dunhills not yet done by Peterson, etc. I'm the stealth hoarder. My pipes reproduce steadily, unnoticed.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Seems to me, the titles of threads most often indicate the content. If the content doesn’t appeal to someone or even offends them somehow, why not just skip it? Theres some threads I never bother opening and some posters whose posts I rarely read. It isn’t difficult.

If all the things people had negative comments about were removed from the forum, this place would be a ghost town. What, you want three desert island threads per day?
This.???

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
If all the things people had negative comments about were removed from the forum, this place would be a ghost town.

How dare you, sir? If something upsets us, we aren’t supposed to deal with it. We’re supposed to lash out against it, whine and complain about it, and try to have it eradicated from existence. Don’t you know? There aren’t winners and losers anymore, only “if you had fun you won“ and everyone gets a trophy. That way, when we all grow up, we have no clue how to handle loss and adversity other than to complain to those in charge until whatever it was that upset us is gone.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If we didn't show each other pipes and cellars who the hell else is going to be interested. We are on a pipe site, to discuss pipes, tobacco and a multitude of other topics as they pertain to pipes and tobacco.

When someone gets a new pipe they are excited and want to show if off to the only people who will give a crap. I think it is a sign of respect that we say nice things about his purchase if it some thing we think is nice.. How hard is it to make a nice comment that might make the guys day after eating shit all day in the regular world.

This place is supposed to be a sanctuary where people from all over the world talk about what is a special aspect to their lives. I post on the what are you smoking thread because people before me thought it was important. Now the reality is different, I post now because the world waits with baited breath to find out what pipe and tobacco I am indulging in. People send me thousands of thank you pm's and I even have a fan club. If you want to join just type in www.godsgifttothepipeworld.com

Ok that last bit was a bit over the top. I personally like seeing the new pipes people get and I like seeing a well organized cellar. I don't show my cellar because it is a disaster and completely un organized. I have organized cellar envy and it is an ugly emotion.

I am not a cob guy, when cob threads appear I just don't open them, It is not very hard to just go by them. I rarely look at the pipe restoration threads as I don't restore pipes, Not all of us are going to like every thread or post. We are obligated to be respectful to all the members even though they may have a totally different attitude about the hobby.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
"A lot of men have bought into a consumer culture definition of manliness - how much of a man you are is related to how big your truck is, how many guns you have,"

I see this when discussing bourbon, often folks will say they only drink their bourbon neat (water is for pansies I assume) and at as high a proof as possible. This is despite most reviewers and indeed some distillers saying that a small splash of water often helps release the full range of flavours.

Me, I like mine at around 45%abv with a slight dash of water ?

Regards,

Jay.?

68981a391ebf829a54f07fa8b4e2ff47.jpg

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
If we didn't show each other pipes and cellars who the hell else is going to be interested. We are on a pipe site, to discuss pipes, tobacco and a multitude of other topics as they pertain to pipes and tobacco.

When someone gets a new pipe they are excited and want to show if off to the only people who will give a crap. I think it is a sign of respect that we say nice things about his purchase if it some thing we think is nice.. How hard is it to make a nice comment that might make the guys day after eating shit all day in the regular world.

This place is supposed to be a sanctuary where people from all over the world talk about what is a special aspect to their lives. I post on the what are you smoking thread because people before me thought it was important. Now the reality is different, I post now because the world waits with baited breath to find out what pipe and tobacco I am indulging in. People send me thousands of thank you pm's and I even have a fan club. If you want to join just type in www.godsgifttothepipeworld.com

Ok that last bit was a bit over the top. I personally like seeing the new pipes people get and I like seeing a well organized cellar. I don't show my cellar because it is a disaster and completely un organized. I have organized cellar envy and it is an ugly emotion.

I am not a cob guy, when cob threads appear I just don't open them, It is not very hard to just go by them. I rarely look at the pipe restoration threads as I don't restore pipes, Not all of us are going to like every thread or post. We are obligated to be respectful to all the members even though they may have a totally different attitude about the hobby.

Agree ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The bolded part is boorish.

And apparently you enjoy it, but a significant number of others? How do you know?
Sure it maybe boorish but that's part of human nature. Some people live their whole lives around that one single idea. How do I know people enjoy it, well they act like they enjoy it. Lots of likes lots of comments.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
IMHO, most of you guys are missing the point that @jpmcwjr was trying to highlight. There is a huge difference between posting a picture of recently acquired 2 tins of Plum Pudding and Scottish Flake vs posting an image of 15 tins of Early Morning Pipe that you have just received. And in most of the cases, the poster doesn't even explain why he has ordered 15 tins, there is nothing to read, just a picture of 15 tins of EMP.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
How dare you, sir? If something upsets us, we aren’t supposed to deal with it. We’re supposed to lash out against it, whine and complain about it, and try to have it eradicated from existence. Don’t you know? There aren’t winners and losers anymore, only “if you had fun you won“ and everyone gets a trophy. That way, when we all grow up, we have no clue how to handle loss and adversity other than to complain to those in charge until whatever it was that upset us is gone.
Couldn't agree with you more. It's a sad reality

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
I enjoy seeing other pipe smokers' collections of things. Being more of a tobacco-person than a pipe-person, I like to see what blends people are stocking up on. It's a plus if they've offered up their thoughts on why they are stocking up on those blends. I also love to see pictures of the beautiful pipes people own and to read information on who the maker is, how they got the pipe, enjoyable times they've had with that pipe, etc.

On the other side of that, I enjoy hearing from pipe smokers who don't keep big collections, as that's the category I'm in. Due to finances and storage space, I am a pipe & tobacco lover that doesn't have much of a cellar or pipe collection other than a couple cobs and a couple briars for dedicating to different blend types. So it's fun to hear from folks across the board about the different ways they enjoy this hobby and how they meet their own needs. That's what's interesting about this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.