PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
Yes, you read it right. As a newb, I was very sad to miss out on some of the “Forever Stems” from Walker Briarworks to use with corncob pipes.

Well, Walker retired this year, but Vermont Freehand just posted that they are now selling forever stems in lots of styles.

They no longer have the dot inlay but otherwise are the same as the Walker stems. Oh, and they’re cheaper than Walker’s prices.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
Yes, you read it right. As a newb, I was very sad to miss out on some of the “Forever Stems” from Walker Briarworks to use with corncob pipes.

Well, Walker retired this year, but Vermont Freehand just posted that they are now selling forever stems in lots of styles.

They no longer have the dot inlay but otherwise are the same as the Walker stems. Oh, and they’re cheaper than Walker’s prices.
Thank you! Just placed an order for 3 stems.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm glad someone took up the mantle. Every MM cob deserves a good acrylic stem. The stock stems are fine, but not for long. I also like the MM cobs that come with acrylic stems, like the special editions and the freehand. Properly equipped, many MM cobs will last for decades or more.

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
I mean no disrespect, but I never found the logic of paying more for the stem than the pipe persuasive.
I agree. The original makers were higher priced.

I wouldn't do it for a new cob, but some cobs just get so comfortable and smoke so well that they deserve the good stem.
Exactly. You buy a cob because it’s reliable and expendable. A custom stem makes it much less expendable IMO. I agree that once you find that specific cob you like and own it for some time, it becomes a friend and it’s special. Why not make it special with a stem?
I shall now be a grumpy old man...

I clicked all over the original post hoping there might be a link. Due to the fact we here at pipesmagazine.com hate highlighting them, that was necessary. Well there was no link and I'm too lazy and cranky to go searching so...
Google Vermont Freehand. When you get to their home page scroll down and click on the picture that says forever stems.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've never needed to replace the original stems, and some of my cobs are 10+ years old.

Looks like they're no longer offered in vulcanite so even if I were in the market, acrylic would be a definite no.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I've never needed to replace the original stems, and some of my cobs are 10+ years old.

Looks like they're no longer offered in vulcanite so even if I were in the market, acrylic would be a definite no.
It says they’ll be offering vulcanite ones later. I’ve never chewed through an original plastic one, but I like vulcanite.

Status
Not open for further replies.