PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
"Forever Stems" propose an alternate logic to value add cobs.

A man I know said that when he married he'd assess the household setup that his new wife put forward. (Others can be so obnoxious in doing things differently.:)) He would say, "good, bad or different." Mostly he thought "different."

Reactions: radrick96

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I've always resisted buying any aftermarket stems for any of my cob pipes, but recently I've damn near bitten through 2 different pipe stems while working out in the yard. :confused: I might replace 'em with the vulcanite stems, once they become available.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I've always resisted buying any aftermarket stems for any of my cob pipes, but recently I've damn near bitten through 2 different pipe stems while working out in the yard. :confused: I might replace 'em with the vulcanite stems, once they become available.
I think the work is what does it for me, too. I don’t put any major damage on the plastic ones if I’m just sitting having a bowl, but if I’m clenching when doing something strenuous, like hammering, etc, I find I bite down on the stem some. Mine still aren’t as bad as those that chew their stems, but vulcanite handles my mild abuse better.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think the work is what does it for me, too. I don’t put any major damage on the plastic ones if I’m just sitting having a bowl, but if I’m clenching when doing something strenuous, like hammering, etc, I find I bite down on the stem some. Mine still aren’t as bad as those that chew their stems, but vulcanite handles my mild abuse better.
Yup. Or mowing etc sometimes you give it a little squeeze. ?

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Yes indeed. I was cutting down a bunch of tree limbs, and nearly crunched right through one of the black plastic bits (not that it would take much to do that!). I ought to know better, since I can barely do 2 actual things at once without losing concentration on one of them...

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
I wouldn't do it for a new cob, but some cobs just get so comfortable and smoke so well that they deserve the good stem.

This!

I have had many cobs, some turn into a mooncrater type surface after just one bowl. But then you have those odd ones that stay silky smooth on the inside with no craters. Those realy deserve a proper stem. Just wish they made even longer ones, would love a 90° straight cobwarden.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
It's hard to beat Carter Hall or Sir Walter Raleigh in a MM Cob in my book!...
UfOMrLd.jpg
with Carter Hall...

Status
Not open for further replies.