PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
That is good news. However, that means 20% are not and I'm guessing a number of those may never reopen. I just hope the majority of the 80% survive.
I agree wholeheartedly. I would assume a decent percentage of the 20% are bars and gyms...they seem like the last to be allowed to open by the states. Overall, though, I guess you would have to assume that businesses that didn't make it and have to shut down for good, weren't able to muster up 3 to 4 months worth of cash on hand even after laying off employees...its likely they wouldn't have survived a recession anyway, I don't know.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We never closed, thankfully. With just drive-thru's, our sales have now eclipsed last year with no dine-in. WV reopened two weeks ago, VA tomorrow (for dine in). I suspect Maryland (my home) will do so next week. Not sure on PA/NJ or NY where we also have restaurants. We're still wearing masks/gloves and I suspect will do so for a long time (restaurant workers).

I'm five miles from the WV line, just across the Potomac, so we've been able to drive over (in the MGB finally!) and enjoy a dinner (mostly outside by choice).

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
We never closed, thankfully. With just drive-thru's, our sales have now eclipsed last year with no dine-in. WV reopened two weeks ago, VA tomorrow (for dine in). I suspect Maryland (my home) will do so next week. Not sure on PA/NJ or NY where we also have restaurants. We're still wearing masks/gloves and I suspect will do so for a long time (restaurant workers).

I'm five miles from the WV line, just across the Potomac, so we've been able to drive over (in the MGB finally!) and enjoy a dinner (mostly outside by choice).
We were in Florida a few weeks ago (Navarre area) and nearly everything was open down there. Enjoyed some excellent oysters on the half shell. What was funny was that we took I-95 south toward Jacksonville (mostly to avoid Atlanta traffic) and crossing over into Florida was a full on road block put on by the state. They were stopping everyone that effectively was coming from north of North Carolina. Apparently those people were having to fill out questionaires and get their temperature taken before they were allowed into Florida...all they did with us (being from NC) was waive us through.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife and I are of "a certain age," and she has multiple health issues, and I have a few, but when I finally feel at liberty to shop, even a little, beyond prescriptions and select groceries, I dread finding various of my favorite old haunts closed and gone. Mom and pop places, but also Macy's, Jos. Banks, etc. I'll give up the shopping to maintain our health, but the economy struggles.

Reactions: davet and jpmcwjr

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Cold and flu no longer exist. Anything vaguely respiratory will be due to the "second wave". :rolleyes:
I agree...they really don't know what they are doing, and frankly, I think the tests are questionable. How exactly can you have 85% of those that test positive asymptomatic? What does that even mean and why should we care about testing if that is the case? I'll bet that at some point in the future they'll find something wrong with these tests for giving too many false positives. But, that just my opinion of course.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This time I keep having the thought that this pandemic has shown us a lot of the cracks in how we operate. A few months is enough for many places to be done. It's like we all want to pretend that things like this aren't normal. Which if you look at it what's amazing isn't a few months shut down happening so far once in some of our life times but how long it took to happen. It's something we should have been more prepared for and expected to happen sometime. Additionally I think a lot of businesses aren't going to close but really more start their death spiral. In my town so many restaurants make a huge part of their money during events that had to be canceled and the rest of the year is more like slowing the bleed of money and keeping the place up and running until those times of year when there are lines out the door at every place. Though odd thing I've noticed it seems like some places did make a killing too.
I agree...they really don't know what they are doing, and frankly, I think the tests are questionable. How exactly can you have 85% of those that test positive asymptomatic? What does that even mean and why should we care about testing if that is the case? I'll bet that at some point in the future they'll find something wrong with these tests for giving too many false positives. But, that just my opinion of course.
Oh that means it's like most viruses is what that means on that front. Most of the time you get the flu you're asymptomatic which you don't have to think about too much so we don't. We should care about testing because that's a huge part of the reason it's spread so far. Well that and that it's in the air and that's how it spreads. Which you get flus and colds mainly by touching surfaces and then your face not from being breathed near.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
This time I keep having the thought that this pandemic has shown us a lot of the cracks in how we operate. A few months is enough for many places to be done. It's like we all want to pretend that things like this aren't normal. Which if you look at it what's amazing isn't a few months shut down happening so far once in some of our life times but how long it took to happen. It's something we should have been more prepared for and expected to happen sometime. Additionally I think a lot of businesses aren't going to close but really more start their death spiral. In my town so many restaurants make a huge part of their money during events that had to be canceled and the rest of the year is more like slowing the bleed of money and keeping the place up and running until those times of year when there are lines out the door at every place. Though odd thing I've noticed it seems like some places did make a killing too.

Oh that means it's like most viruses is what that means on that front. Most of the time you get the flu you're asymptomatic which you don't have to think about too much so we don't. We should care about testing because that's a huge part of the reason it's spread so far. Well that and that it's in the air and that's how it spreads. Which you get flus and colds mainly by touching surfaces and then your face not from being breathed near.
I understand, my point is that what does the testing do other than put everyone in a panic especially when the vast majority are asymptomatic? We've just shut down the entire economy (or most of it anyway) for less than 15% of those tested that have symptons? And having symptons doesn't mean you are going to die, far from it actually. For instance, we just had a Tyson facility nearby shut down...537 people at the plant, 482 tested positive but were asymptomatic, and only 3 tested positive with symptons...so why exactly did they shut the entire plant down? Thats what I don't get...what exactly did the testing do or prove...that 3 people had a fever and cough?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cold and flu no longer exist. Anything vaguely respiratory will be due to the "second wave". :rolleyes:
My meaning was that though businesses have begun opening, Covid will likely come back stronger during cold and flu season prompting mass shut down of businesses once again. Not from fear of the bug, but fear of the included insanity has prompted me to home school my children for the next few years.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I understand, my point is that what does the testing do other than put everyone in a panic especially when the vast majority are asymptomatic? We've just shut down the entire economy (or most of it anyway) for less than 15% of those tested that have symptons? And having symptons doesn't mean you are going to die, far from it actually. For instance, we just had a Tyson facility nearby shut down...537 people at the plant, 482 tested positive but were asymptomatic, and only 3 tested positive with symptons...so why exactly did they shut the entire plant down? Thats what I don't get...what exactly did the testing do or prove...that 3 people had a fever and cough?
a lot of people still died and lots more would have if they all got serious issues at one time. That's the long and short of it. Also it seems some people are getting serious secondary issues that flus and colds don't do. Like serious lung damage.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
a lot of people still died and lots more would have if they all got serious issues at one time. That's the long and short of it. Also it seems some people are getting serious secondary issues that flus and colds don't do. Like serious lung damage.
Briarbuck said it better than I ever could...those that are vulnerable and have underlying conditions can choose to protect themselves just like they've always done during flu season. It's almost communist to require that everyone shelter for just a few percent of the population (sorry to get political with the word communist, lol).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Flu can lead to pneumonia and that can destroy lungs. One of mine is 70% scar tissue from it.
Jesus man. Yeah pneumonia is terrible. Though the difference is people are getting tissue damage without secondary issues like pneumonia and unlike the flu it can go to pneumonia really fast. For me one of the reasons I thought I had covid is when I got sick it felt in the first day like the beginnings of pneumonia. And even the worst flu I've had took days to feel like that was a threat. (the amount of phlegm I got out was mind blowing, as in I remember it and it still feels like I must be exaggerating.).

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Status
Not open for further replies.