Why Does Pipe Tobacco Suck So Much Compared to Cigars? Seriously?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umberto

Lurker
Apr 11, 2020
Makes me angry that the piping community will denigrate the cigar industry by saying pipe tobacco has so many more flavors that cigars don't. Of course if you add flavors you get flavors.

Don't get me wrong I love the artisanal pipe makers around the globe and the eccentric weirdos who smoke them. But the tobacco really breaks my heart. It's such an astounding degree of accepted ignorance.

Pipe tobacco is flavored tobacco product, cigars are just real. So far as I know Semois is the only one doing it's own nano size production of estate tobaccos.

What we get in our bowls is a mystery. I really don't get the cheerleading for pipe blenders...Let's call them out and ask what they flavor our tobacco with? Why are they always releasing new product with new flavors of the same tobacco contracted bales? To me it's absurd to treat pipe tobacco with the same respect as a cigar manufacture. The level of detail and earthly risks of the large tobacco families is that much greater.

Pipe tobacco to me would be so much better if they upped the game on high end tobacco only blends. No flavorings, no casings...just earth. That's kinda where I'm headed in my next blend.

For heavens sake I'd totally smoke nicaragua flake in my bowl...damn damn...perhaps I need to invest in a small press and try an experiment...Imagine...a cigar leaf flake :) That's it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We're plenty critical and analytical here, and like different things and disagree about blends, blenders, brands, and so on. Definitely, find a cigar site of folks (who won't agree with some of what you say either, incidentally) and have a good life.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
tenor.gif

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Makes me angry that the piping community will denigrate the cigar industry by saying pipe tobacco has so many more flavors that cigars don't. Of course if you add flavors you get flavors.

Don't get me wrong I love the artisanal pipe makers around the globe and the eccentric weirdos who smoke them. But the tobacco really breaks my heart. It's such an astounding degree of accepted ignorance.

Pipe tobacco is flavored tobacco product, cigars are just real. So far as I know Semois is the only one doing it's own nano size production of estate tobaccos.

What we get in our bowls is a mystery. I really don't get the cheerleading for pipe blenders...Let's call them out and ask what they flavor our tobacco with? Why are they always releasing new product with new flavors of the same tobacco contracted bales? To me it's absurd to treat pipe tobacco with the same respect as a cigar manufacture. The level of detail and earthly risks of the large tobacco families is that much greater.

Pipe tobacco to me would be so much better if they upped the game on high end tobacco only blends. No flavorings, no casings...just earth. That's kinda where I'm headed in my next blend.

For heavens sake I'd totally smoke nicaragua flake in my bowl...damn damn...perhaps I need to invest in a small press and try an experiment...Imagine...a cigar leaf flake :) That's it!
There are such things as cigar leaf blends. There are also many many uncountable unflavored or minimally flavored blends. Have you only smoked aromatics? What’s your purpose here?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Because it doesn't offer the sensory experience of sucking the dried butthole crust off of a phallus that you so obviously crave? Sometimes people like things that you don't like. If you wanna burn a turd in your pipe, take a guillotine slicer to one, make a little pile of turd coins, and burn the turd coins in your pipe. Easy solution. ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Well, it's an opinion and we know what opinions are like. But the notion that tobacco isn't treated in some way or another with a result that affects flavors just isn't supported in practice, regardless of whether it's pipes or cigars. There is a wonderful variation of flavors with cigars. PIpe tobaccos offer a much wider variation. They're different practices with gooper aros at one extreme and single crop, single farm vintage blends at the other. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges and declaring one a virtuous virgin and the other a wanton whore.

Status
Not open for further replies.