Why Does Pipe Tobacco Suck So Much Compared to Cigars? Seriously?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
54643b279a4207b81a769d0b7446c41a.jpg

because you look way more badass pursing your lips sucking a mummy penis.

What's his name? Mike Dick something..?

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've smoked cigars and pipes, and although the tobacco is very different, their taxonomy is the same, attributable to soil, climate and curing practices.

It breaks the heart to read about the Cuban cigar industry before and after the cigar boom. Before generations of cigar families and workers practiced a 200 year tradition of cigar making. It was their craft at which they were expert, and they were justifiably proud of their skill. If a storm was coming a farmer who had brought in his tobacco to a curing barn would sleep in the barn, just like a early 20th century wildcatter oil man would sleep by his well that had not yet come in.

But then Castro invaded the business in the boom and laid these cigar traditions to waste, the diminished quality of which was openly documented online. Last I read only a handful of brands survived with their former quality intact.

But there are any number of non-Cuban brands that continue to do what's best for the tobacco in growing, curing and aging.

So although quality tobacco for cigars continues to be produced, there is no evidence that pipe tobacco production has become less devoted to quality, nor can any claim be made that all of it is flavored. I smoked 100s of blends and only one, 1792, was flavored.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Wow...

Well, to answer the OP

1. All of the above.

2. I'd be willing to bet that you haven't tried many pipe tobaccos. I started out smoking cigar leaf in a pipe and now smoke Burley, a very unflavored tobacco forward smoke. Many old timers here smoke very tobacco forward blends.

2a. The guys here accept me talking about what I smoke even though it is not "standard" and would accept whatever you decided to smoke as long as it was in a pipe. I smoked Nicaraguan cigar leaf in a pipe for a while. Once you make that Nicaraguan flake, where will you go to discuss it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.