PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinnscience

Lurker
Sep 20, 2014
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Hi folks. Just wanna get some feedback on what everyone uses to polish their silver spigots. I use a microfiber cloth, but it's got some cleaner and antitarnish embedded. I once used a dremel at slow speed .. but it still made some of the silver turn color a bit ..... and I really liked that pipe. I used to 'buff carnuba' whenever I polish my stummels... which sort of helps keep them a bit longer .... but now I got like 19 pipes that need polish .... and I don't like the idea of using chemicals on my pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Yup, jeweller's cloth. Unless the tarnish is really bad, you don't need anything stronger. Maybe not even if the tarnish is really bad. It's impregnated with something and works really, really, well. A lot easier than messing around with polish and compound and power tools(!).

Mar 1, 2014
I just let it patina.
Keep it clean and let it sit for a few months while giving the silver a rub down with bare paper towel every week to help it darken evenly.

From there if you ever want it shiny again you can use electrolysis (aluminum in warm salt water) to pull the sulphur out of the silver and reverse the tarnish.
The electrolysis process does move atoms around on the surface of the silver so they say it can leave a bit of a matte finish if you do it too often.

Electrolysis is the only absolutely non-destructive method of removing tarnish, all other methods are abrasive and lose some silver, however slight that may be.
Not that everyone particularly cares, but if you want a piece of silver to last "forever" then it's the only option.

Last edited:
Reactions: kinnscience

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
As others have stated jewellers cloth is probably best. Or use my grandpa's trick of fine wood ash and spit or water on a cloth for vary tarnished or dirty stuff. Dampen cloth and dip in ash and rub on. Then wipe clean with another damp cloth. Works on a bunch of stuff.

michail

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 7, 2015
Paros, Greece
I wouldn't use anything that involves motor.

Jeweller's cloth is a good solution if tarnish is not deep purple/blue. A little bottle of Silvo -these are sold on super markets as 100ml polishes for cutlery here in Greece- would make the job for deeper tarnish. A good wipe and you are ready.

Reactions: BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I wouldn't use anything that involves motor.

Jeweller's cloth is a good solution if tarnish is not deep purple/blue. A little bottle of Silvo -these are sold on super markets as 100ml polishes for cutlery here in Greece- would make the job for deeper tarnish. A good wipe and you are ready.
Plain white toothpaste took this off.

20190827_064536.jpg

Reactions: Tommy Boy and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.