PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crwfshkid

Lurker
Apr 1, 2020
Alaska
I've been lurking here for a few months, popping in to read some thread here and there, but the lockdowns have me reaching out. This place seems amazing and inviting. I did a dozen years in the Air Force, but now I have a job where I could keep flying instead of sitting a desk

I'm a super casual pipe smoker, with just a Peterson Donegal Rocky and a local B&M blend (Stoney's Blend).

Looking to get into some tins, having seen several recent threads that had a ton of information. The Instant Cellar thread seems like it has a great start for me to dig into.

I've really only have used a Bic or matches for lighting my pipe. Any recommendations for a solid & dependable lighter?

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I've been lurking here for a few months, popping in to read some thread here and there, but the lockdowns have me reaching out. This place seems amazing and inviting. I did a dozen years in the Air Force, but now I have a job where I could keep flying instead of sitting a desk

I'm a super casual pipe smoker, with just a Peterson Donegal Rocky and a local B&M blend (Stoney's Blend).

Looking to get into some tins, having seen several recent threads that had a ton of information. The Instant Cellar thread seems like it has a great start for me to dig into.

I've really only have used a Bic or matches for lighting my pipe. Any recommendations for a solid & dependable lighter?

Good old Stony’s Blend - the first tobacco I ever smoked from a pipe.

Welcome aboard. Just joined myself and also live in AK. Planning on hitting G&P when I get back home.

I just picked up one of those Zippos with the pipe insert and I really like it.

Reactions: kurtbob

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO

Welcome from Orlando! Funny...I took a desk job to get out of the airplane. Long story...as for the lighter, I love using a zippo with a the pipe insert.

Reactions: kurtbob

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
Welcome from Missouri. I have the same Zippo I bought 31 years ago at the PX. It's been in my pocket ever since. Can't go wrong with a Zippo.

Reactions: BROBS and kurtbob

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
G&P is mission essential, right?
I wonder if it’s still owned by the same guys...

No its not, and yes it is! Their prices are outrageous (mostly because of taxes) for pipes and tobacco, but I do like stoney’s blend and seward’s folly, and when you need a quick cigar its a good place to stop.

But when tobacco or pipe shopping? Internet sites are 1/3 the price. Nostalgic yes, mission essential? Unfortunately not for me, although I support them when I can, since they are pretty much the only B&M except 5th ave which is just a bunch of stokkebye and pease blends, and I don’t like the idea of not having a B&M around.

It is still owned by Roger and Hogan as far as I know, same dudes since it was Tobacco Cache. To their credit they have good taste in tobacco despite their extremely limited selection, and that weirdo that mans the counter is pretty knowledgeable.

Welcome to the forum from Knik River, Alaska!!! Good to see so many new AK folks showing up here! If you haven’t already, check out Alaska Pipe Club on Facebook. We meet monthly.

Welcome again!

Reactions: BROBS and kurtbob

jaxonlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
Butte, Montana, USA
Howdy and welcome from Montana. I've used Zippos, Bics, and assorted matches over the years. Every once in a while you can find cedar matches and they're quite nice for pipes and cigars. Same with cedar splints.

Reactions: BROBS

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
It's an invasion!...
Only kidding :)
Warm welcome from Sweden!
As for lighters there are many great options but I'm very happy with my Im Corona double flame that I've had for 12 years.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Welcome from S.W Michigan. I'm new too with a similar story of the lurking and reading. Seems to be a really cool group of people from ALL over the world on here. So glad i finally joined. As far as a lighter goes zippo with a pipe insert. They are made in America and are dang near indestructible and have a lifetime warranty. I have had same 1 for 20ish years. If you order a new one just ask for the insert.

Reactions: crwfshkid
Status
Not open for further replies.