How Do You Guys Feel Today About This Virus?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

How do you feel on 3/12/2020

• All hell is about to break loose

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • It's going to get weird but it will blow over

Votes: 50 67.6%
  • There's not much to it at all

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Have you stocked up on tobacco? Has your stance changed? Are you personally avoiding travel, or large crowds?

The basic question is, what are you personally doing in response to this?

I ask this because I caught myself buying bigger packages of random stuff while running around town today. Maybe its because they've cancelled the tournament, and baseball.. as much as I hate to admit it, it sure seems like the shit winds are blowing.

Last edited by a moderator:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Basically they are just trying to avoid large events because it spreads so easily. That’s all. Just wash your hands. Don’t touch your face. Keep your distance from others especially those who seem ill. All common sense stuff and this can fizzle. Also people need to quit going to BFE and just stay home for a while.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've always been a recluse. Since I do my work from home I can stay locked up for days. Last week I didn't go outside, not even to the hallway, from the moment I came back home from church on Sunday afternoon till Friday afternoon when I had to go foraging.

I also have a Pilate Complex: I wash my hand like 30 times a day. If I pick up lint from the floor I go wash them afterwards.

That being said, I do intend to avoid crowds, watch what I touch, wash my hands more often ( ? ), make sure I have enough homoeopathic medication, and smoke more aromatics.

I did buy my bottle of Absinthe to disinfect pipes, although with the reports from Italy, I don't think I'll be buying any more pipes till this whole thing resolves into either abatement or foreign/civil war.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
As I'm "over 60" as is my wife who also has a somewhat compromised immune system, I am mildly concerned. But, as we really do not tend to go anywhere other than the store, am not that concerned. Now, the TP shortage I ran into today while shopping really has me concerned.:poop:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
As I'm "over 60" as is my wife who also has a somewhat compromised immune system, I am mildly concerned. But, as we really do not tend to go anywhere other than the store, am not that concerned. Now, the TP shortage I ran into today while shopping really has me concerned.:poop:
I'd suggest newspapers but they're so full of propaganda one's ass might develop a red rash.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
As a hospital nurse I'm dreading the kind of staffing shortage this thing could bring. It is stressful for the staff and unsafe for our patients to be stretched thin with sick families and staff.

If the cases skyrocket I am worried our staff won't be able to keep up. Even without a health crisis my hospital is almost always at capacity.

Here in central VA the spread seems imminent.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've got a surplus of food and water in the basement. I've been buying excess tobacco by the pound for years. And I've been stocking up on ammo for some time now.

It'll be enough for a while atleast.

Oh and I will be off work till atleast the end of April, and my wife only works when she wants to. So that will help that we won't HAVE to leave the house for a while.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
On paper at the moment, my investments has suffered. But you don't lose unless you sell. I just contacted my financial guy and want to talk to him tomorrow about moving everything to cash for awhile.

I think it is way overhyped and overblown by the media (surprise, surprise). However, some common sense precautions should be taken. I certain wouldn't be planning to travel to the Far East right now.

Also, are you less than 60 and very healthy? I don't think your life is in danger. Are you over 60, in bad health with a lung disease? I'd be staying at home as much as possible for awhile.

What's lost on people, I think, is the irreparable damage done to many businesses and people's livelihood that will ultimately cost more lives than the Corona Virus takes.

Jan 8, 2013
As far as trying to take preventative measures.... I'm a bit screwed. I work for a busy grocery store (I'm a butcher, but also work in sells in the butcher block/seafood deapartment. In the last three weeks I've been coughed on, sneezed on by an alarming amount of customers and had to clean surfaces coughed on and sneezed on by customers. Please my friends, remember to have some common courtesy for others. If you're coughing or sneezing please turn away from people and try to cough into your elbow, and not your hands with which you'll be touching any number of things. If you're not well and don't have to be out, then stay home please. The most effective way of battling this virus is using our own common sense and common courtesy.

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
As was mentioned before,good hygiene and good maners solves lot of the problems before they even start. If you are sick, stay home, if you don't get better after 3 days, go see a doctor.

Reactions: litup and Casual

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
As far as trying to take preventative measures.... I'm a bit screwed. I work for a busy grocery store (I'm a butcher, but also work in sells in the butcher block/seafood deapartment. In the last three weeks I've been coughed on, sneezed on by an alarming amount of customers and had to clean surfaces coughed on and sneezed on by customers. Please my friends, remember to have some common courtesy for others. If you're coughing or sneezing please turn away from people and try to cough into your elbow, and not your hands with which you'll be touching any number of things. If you're not well and don't have to be out, then stay home please. The most effective way of battling this virus is using our own common sense and common courtesy.

Did you ever think you would have to ask other adults in the 21st century to not spew bodily fluids on themselves, other people, and everything around them whilst in public places. It's like manners and self respect have been lost over the years.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Did you ever think you would have to ask other adults in the 21st century to not spew bodily fluids on themselves, other people, and everything around them whilst in public places. It's like manners and self respect have been lost over the years.
Well, Anthony's post made me remember an episode I had with a woman who was born in the 1930's. I didn't share it, but your post now makes me do so: Back in AD 2003-2005 I was boarding with a beldame. One time, as we were having dinner, she sneezed across the table and I complained about that, and politely suggested she turned to the side when she did that. She replied, quite angrily, that she had covered her mouth with her hand. :rolleyes: I wanted to explain that not only are the droplets ejected with such force that they can land up to 7 metres away from the sneezer's mouth, but that they are so small that to them the spaces between fingers are as wide as a football field, but she was so angry that I just let the matter rest.

Yes, do cover your mouth with a cloth or your elbow, AND turn sidewards and downwards when you sneeze or cough, please.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
nana A little over a week ago I started such a thread. There were 265 cases in the US. Now there is 1,663. I was told things like, "Nope. If the media would quit making wild accusations about it spreading. We have all seen this before....swine flu, bird flu, sars, Ebola...etc." and where to find the aluminum foil. My favorite was, "I hear Costco are doing a two for one on tin foil hats!"

So now I say pass the koolaide and lets keep singing Kumbayah.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
nana A little over a week ago I started such a thread. There were 265 cases in the US. Now there is 1,663. I was told things like, "Nope. If the media would quit making wild accusations about it spreading. We have all seen this before....swine flu, bird flu, sars, Ebola...etc." and where to find the aluminum foil. My favorite was, "I hear Costco are doing a two for one on tin foil hats!"

So now I say pass the koolaide and lets keep singing Kumbayah.

Yeah, with over 300 million people, that represents a pandemic. You should be off buying TP instead of posting. I'm not saying people should ignore and not take precautions. But 265 to 1,663 in a week is hardly exponential either.

Status
Not open for further replies.