PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Did I read that right, you are doing this with one arm?

Yikes if I were to make a pipe with one hand it would probably end up looking like one of Bill's Freehands!

LOL, well I DO have two hands. Just that one is for show. Brain stem stroke took out my left side. The good news I lived through it without damage to my mind. The bad news was I was originally left handed. Shit happens. As to the pipe it is actually coming along. I learned long ago one can take the wood off easily, but putting it back on is not an option.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Oh, Sweet Jesus. Last post for a week. I found the only way to achieve symmetry in sanding is to take a 13 inch by 1/4 inch sanding belt, turn it inside out, put the wood in a vise, loop the belt over it and run it back and forth like buffing a shoe with a shoe shine cloth. I figure a 1/16 inch thickness reduction per day.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I just adore such threads. Love to see the process.
Just remember, I am not a "real" pipe maker nor even a talented amateur. I don't even play one on TV. What I am is your standard crazed pipe smoker, like almost every member here, who refuses to believe the can't do something until they prove or disprove it to themselves. (Being in one's second child-hood doesn't hurt either.)

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. It was pointed out to me that this is not my first horn. It seems that back in 2012 I knocked out a pipe in a hurry for a friend. He thinks it is a horn, but I don't. Plus due to the lack of effort put into it I do not consider it a serious pipe, though it is still in his rotation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do I understand you are doing this one-handed? I can't imagine it, but my wife is on crutches and does crazy good cooking and baking, so I know adaptations can be made. What a great pipe, good for years of triumphal smoking.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
And black removed, oxblood over-stain and a wash of thinned shellac applied and coarsely wiped off. That is just to do a final set on the stain and will be buffed off and carnuba applied.
Do I understand you are doing this one-handed? I can't imagine it, but my wife is on crutches and does crazy good cooking and baking, so I know adaptations can be made. What a great pipe, good for years of triumphal smoking.

After getting this far I will finish it. It is a good and solid pipe, but I am not in love with the grain. When done I fear I will consign it to the Drawer Of Lost Causes, never to be seen or smoked.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Ah, my friend...don't dream it...do it! There is something about smoking a pipe you have labored on - be it a bare block you have drilled yourself, a kit pipe or even restoring an estate pipe that adds much to the enjoyment of both looking at it and smoking it.
+1 on that comment, one of my favorite go to pipes is my first carve from a predrilled block kit. Not professional quality in look, but a fine smoking pipe that I can say I made!

Status
Not open for further replies.