PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
But they can be easier to pack without clogging the pipe.

I’m going to guess along with others he’s packing it way too tight. Fuck the “three step” method just put the tobacco in there, push it down some and top it off with crumbs. It should be pretty loose and springy to the touch.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I put a pipe cleaner all the way through the pipe and into the bowl to keep the airway clear while packing.

I also aim for having the draw as close to how it feels when it is completely empty. If the draw feels too tight then I dump and repack. It can be frustrating but makes all the difference. I have packed and repacked 4or 5 times before.

That being said, even when all is perfect, I rarely have to relight FEWER than 12+ times.

I gave up trying chasing the elusive "one light, burned to the end" experience about the same time I gave up "burned to the end of the bowl leaving nothing but ash"?
o
I think I keep the the Diamond Kitchen Match company in business.

Lastly, be very light when you use a tamp during smoking. Dont do it too often either.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yeah, you can use the 'codger method', which is just using your finger to slide tobacco into the pipe as you have it laid down over the surface of the toby. Just keep in mind that you want it really loose at the bottom. Your pipe is actually a log fire upside down, you need oxygen for the cherry to subsist, if it's too tight at the bottom you won't get enough oxygen for combustion. So, again, really loose at the bottom—even the Frank Method accounts for this.

Reactions: Bowie

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
A lot of people struggle with a smoking cadence that is too fast, but some struggle with a cadence that's too slow(unless the packing and lighting and pipe engineering is flawless to keep a cherry burning all the way down). If your pipe is going out constantly, perhaps speed up your puffs to keep the flame alive? Worth a try. For me, I'm definitely in the "too fast" camp, the baccy is just too delicious, what can I say.

The issue is, lots of small variables can collude to create a significant problem like the pipe going out. Perhaps a pack that is too tight, if managed properly, can be salvagable, or a cadence that's too fast with the ideal pack can work, but when the pack is too tight and the cadence is too slow, the combination of those variables(I'm sure there are more variables but this is just an example) create the issue of the pipe going out. This is why pipe smoking is constant experimentation at first. Don't get discouraged, once the learning curve levels out you'll get into the groove of things and smoking the pipe will be like breathing for you. You don't have to think to breathe, right? That's what it's like for an experienced pipe smoker, they don't even have to think to smoke the pipe, it just naturally works out for them. I'm not quite there yet myself but I can see it progressing in that direction. I'm sure the same will happen to anyone with time. Aside from the Frank method which is good advice to play around with, try the breath method for smoking, there are lots of good youtube videos on it. You don't have to do any of these things as described, of course. Tweak and modify with experimentation and you'll find a way of smoking that pipe that is customized to your comfort.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
At the beginning, I'd recommend ta pack so loose that it doesnt't at all affect the draw. Then you can gently adjust the draw with your tamper. I'd also put aside flakes and Gawith tobaccos at the beginnig of your pipe smoking carreer. And dry your tobacco to nearly bone dry. From this point on you can start experimenting with the parameters. Also keep in mind that you do not have to produce huge ammounts of smoke to get the taste.

The most important thing is not to give up. Pipe smoking needs to be learned and will reward you with time.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Right now I'm smoking a blend with 7 hours dry time in 35% humidity that others have smoked straight out of the tin. I've had several re-lights. Just plan on having a few. Don't try for zero and burning down to "fine grey ash".

One trick I've learned which everyone has mentioned is to pack looser than you think is necessary. You can tamp it down a little tighter if necessary while you smoke.

I gravity filled to the rim while tapping the side of the pipe and then stuffed a bit more on top of that. Going on 45 minutes now with what seemed like not enough tobacco.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Exactamundo! I go for a "spongy" feel.

Yup, I find that packing tobacco can be done with one or two motions or a dozen.
Visually the tobacco may look like its been compacted exactly the same amount with either method but it will absolutely be a tighter pack when using fewer tamps

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yup, I find that packing tobacco can be done with one or two motions or a dozen.
Visually the tobacco may look like its been compacted exactly the same amount with either method but it will absolutely be a tighter pack when using fewer tamps
Did you mean "lighter pack"? In any event, it also depends on how hard you tamp.

Reactions: TinCup

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
After re-reading this thread I noticed no one mentioned putting a couple of fingers over the chamber and taking a gentle puff or two while smoking. This really helps get/keep things going. I even do it with my tamper instead of my fingers.

There's a scene in Lord of the Rings where this can be seen. That's not just for the movie. It's a legit thing to do.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
After re-reading this thread I noticed no one mentioned putting a couple of fingers over the chamber and taking a gentle puff or two while smoking. This really helps get/keep things going. I even do it with my tamper instead of my fingers.

There's a scene in Lord of the Rings where this can be seen. That's not just for the movie. It's a legit thing to do.

I often do this if I happen to sip just as its about to go out and most of the time it'll recover because I'm changing the airflow
I can also play about with covering with one or two fingers, again to change the amount and flow of air

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm suggesting that If the amount of compaction is equal (distance) then a pack using only one or two tamps will be tighter than if using 12 much lighter tamps

If the amount of compaction is equal, the tightness will average the same, but with one or two tamps, it will be tighter at the top and looser at the bottom, a desired outcome.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
If the amount of compaction is equal, the tightness will average the same, but with one or two tamps, it will be tighter at the top and looser at the bottom, a desired outcome.

Yeah I can see I'm tripping myself up on the compaction level when the lighter tamps will actually leave a looser/fuller chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.