PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
I've also heard of people making their own snuff from pipe tobacco... I tried but couldn't get it fine enough in a regular coffee grinder, but I plan on picking up a burr grinder sometime, or maybe a mortar and pestle. I've got a tiny bit of the original 759, I bet that would make some incredible snuff. I've never tried latakia snuff before, but I figure with how hard it is to find it'd just be easier to make my own

I've got you covered on the Latakia snuff - Sir Walter Scott's Latakia Blend Snuff 15g, Sir Walter Scott's, Mr.Snuff Online - https://mrsnuff.com/walter-scotts-latakia-blend-snuff-p-3788.html

I'd be interested to try a pinch or two, but I don't want to commit to a whole tin since I'm not a big Lat fan. I wish they sold it in a 5g tin. SWS make great snuff though, and they seem to cater to the pipe and cigar fans.

All this snuff talk has me itching to put together another order. I really want to work on my pipe tobacco cellar, but the temptation is strong.

• Love
Reactions: blues4goose

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have a thing of the SWS Latakia snuff. It's actually still in my fridge. Been there for 2 years or so. I don't know if snuff has a shelf life or not. When I was snuffing, I did enjoy that one. It is a little blast of campfire. I haven't had much of an urge to go back to snuff, but the SWS snuffs sound so interesting. He is like the Esoterica or GL Pease of snuff.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
When I was last in Ireland they sold snuff at a lot of pubs, we bought some for fun and I really liked it. I tend to like the menthol ones since IMHO they give you a brain freeze wake up and don't tend to make my nose stuffy. I was driving my company vehicle this morning and wanted a pipe for the drive, but decided on a Dean Swift snuff instead for a little nic hit.
I have also been told some people like to top a bowl with snuff in order to get some extra nicotine, which I have only tried a couple of times. I thought @pipestud may have mentioned this at some point.

Reactions: danimalia

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I have a few favorites: Dholokia Medicated and Sparrow, Toque St Clement, Absinthe, and Toast and Marmalade, and McCrystals Original and Genuine always tickle my fancy. I’ve tried dozens of others, from Schmaltzers to old school British blends that are like inhaling a Lakeland pipe tobacco, but these are the best, IMO. YMMV, BYOB, FYI, etc.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I have a few favorites: Dholokia Medicated and Sparrow, Toque St Clement, Absinthe, and Toast and Marmalade, and McCrystals Original and Genuine always tickle my fancy. I’ve tried dozens of others, from Schmaltzers to old school British blends that are like inhaling a Lakeland pipe tobacco, but these are the best, IMO. YMMV, BYOB, FYI, etc.
Absinthe?? Now that's intriguing. It's one of my favorite libations.
Only McCrystal's I've tried is the mentholated, and that really only gets broken out when I have a headcold

Reactions: bluegrasspipe

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know the guy, but P.J. O'Roark, the political writer, used to have snuff parties when young, and everyone would snort the nicotine treat. This from someone who was there. I was beset by seasonal allergy as a kid, such that I wore shades, like an addict, to hide my runny eyes, and this affected my nose as well. All that coastal duty with the Navy, those onshore breezes and time on the high seas, settled the worst of the allergies, but I still get enough in the spring and fall not to awaken the mucus devils in my passages. So no snuff for me, thanks. I do admire the elaborate snuff boxes which were much coveted by the gentry in earlier centuries and are still big with collectors, museums and auctions. The price has gone up and up and the use has not.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Is it just a given that this stuff will make you sneeze black snot immediately? I can't do it without blowing it all back on the wall, and my wife put her foot down. The walls were starting to look like rorschach tests. And, I wasn't even sure if I was getting any affect from it.
I never get black snot immediately. With a very gentle whiff, and sometimes just sorta wiping it on the inside of my nasal passages and then sniffing, the worst I get is a little dust around my nostril that's easily wiped off with a napkin.
Sure, if I blow my nose later it'll be a little black, but it's never been a problem.
I also have a deviated septum, so YMMV

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
Is it just a given that this stuff will make you sneeze black snot immediately? I can't do it without blowing it all back on the wall, and my wife put her foot down. The walls were starting to look like rorschach tests. And, I wasn't even sure if I was getting any affect from it.

I for sure get the black snot, especially with coarser snuffs. It's not quite as bad with fine snuffs like an Irish toast. Definitely my least favorite part about it, but if I could just control myself and only take a pinch or two it wouldn't be as bad. I don't snuff around my wife because both the action of snuffing grosses her out, along with the accompanying black snot lol.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.