PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit it, most of the time, I carry a golf tee. I have several bags of tees from years back when my kids all gave me golf stuff for Christmases. And, in a bind, I will use the top of a flat ink pen or my finger.

But, when I gather up my "good" smoking accoutrements, I grab my sterling silver one with marquise garnets and amber cabochons that I made a few years ago. I had made it to sell, but I had to toss it aside and remake it, because the foot made it set at an angle of about 4.25 degrees, which is about the same amount of lean as the Tower of Pisa. It was too perfect to sell, but too perfect not to use. It was perfect for fueling my imagination.

Items of contemplation... as a kid I remember going to the museum and seeing a section on Victorian life, the art and culture, and there was a display of the things men would have carried in their pockets. small filve, a small knife, a flint, a pipe tamper... oh, of course I enjoy tamping with a small nail, or a small piece of wood that I picked up while walking the dog, or even a small carved tip of a deer antler. I've made tamps for a guy who wanted one made from a racoon penis bone. But, sometimes, I want something that reflects the age, the age of gentlemen. A few pinpoints of colored light from a gemstone, the gentle flair of the shaft of the tamper, the settings, the balance of the thing. Or, my imagination really starts to flail as it becomes a space projectile, an arrow, an item for ritualistically setting the golf ball for the $10,000 shot.

My tamps are almost exactly 0.60 oz in weight, which is what I have found to be perfect for gently crushing down flaring tobacco threads or keeping unwinding flakes at bay. It crushes without being a ramrod. Fire keeper, tender... with a gently formed spade on the end for removing the ashes and dottle. Not a sharp point on the thing at all, but it gives the illusion...

Now, I like sterling silver, the feel of it. If I am carrying it, I will sometimes wrap my fingers around it when I shield my hands in my pockets. And, when I go to pay for my purchase at the register, I will fish for my money clip and some change and invariably I will reveal my pipe tamper... It's a statement. I am a gentleman. I am a pipesmoker. I have a small metal weapon in my pocket, if I should need to stab someone. You know... if the need arises.

It can start conversations...

What I like about the ones made of bronze and copper is the color. The bronze is my own formula. It doesn't tarnish easily. And, the more you handle it, the more of your body's oils keep it coated and protected. But, the warm yellow glow of the bronze next to the wram copper... copper always looks alive to me, like a magical metal. Even fresh penneys, the beautiful bottom of a really nice cooking pot... reds, yellows, a slight green glow behind the magic. The garnets... texture, tactile on the fingers. It has a feel, a warm feel.

Yeh, tampers... sigh... I swipe out the ashes, knock the pipe on my rest, wipe the tamp on my jeans, and...

Soooo... too fancy for ya? What do you think?

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I admit it, most of the time, I carry a golf tee. I have several bags of tees from years back when my kids all gave me golf stuff for Christmases. And, in a bind, I will use the top of a flat ink pen or my finger.

But, when I gather up my "good" smoking accoutrements, I grab my sterling silver one with marquise garnets and amber cabochons that I made a few years ago. I had made it to sell, but I had to toss it aside and remake it, because the foot made it set at an angle of about 4.25 degrees, which is about the same amount of lean as the Tower of Pisa. It was too perfect to sell, but too perfect not to use. It was perfect for fueling my imagination.

Items of contemplation... as a kid I remember going to the museum and seeing a section on Victorian life, the art and culture, and there was a display of the things men would have carried in their pockets. small filve, a small knife, a flint, a pipe tamper... oh, of course I enjoy tamping with a small nail, or a small piece of wood that I picked up while walking the dog, or even a small carved tip of a deer antler. I've made tamps for a guy who wanted one made from a racoon penis bone. But, sometimes, I want something that reflects the age, the age of gentlemen. A few pinpoints of colored light from a gemstone, the gentle flair of the shaft of the tamper, the settings, the balance of the thing. Or, my imagination really starts to flail as it becomes a space projectile, an arrow, an item for ritualistically setting the golf ball for the $10,000 shot.

View attachment 10616

My tamps are almost exactly 0.60 oz in weight, which is what I have found to be perfect for gently crushing down flaring tobacco threads or keeping unwinding flakes at bay. It crushes without being a ramrod. Fire keeper, tender... with a gently formed spade on the end for removing the ashes and dottle. Not a sharp point on the thing at all, but it gives the illusion...

Now, I like sterling silver, the feel of it. If I am carrying it, I will sometimes wrap my fingers around it when I shield my hands in my pockets. And, when I go to pay for my purchase at the register, I will fish for my money clip and some change and invariably I will reveal my pipe tamper... It's a statement. I am a gentleman. I am a pipesmoker. I have a small metal weapon in my pocket, if I should need to stab someone. You know... if the need arises.

It can start conversations...

View attachment 10617

What I like about the ones made of bronze and copper is the color. The bronze is my own formula. It doesn't tarnish easily. And, the more you handle it, the more of your body's oils keep it coated and protected. But, the warm yellow glow of the bronze next to the wram copper... copper always looks alive to me, like a magical metal. Even fresh penneys, the beautiful bottom of a really nice cooking pot... reds, yellows, a slight green glow behind the magic. The garnets... texture, tactile on the fingers. It has a feel, a warm feel.

Yeh, tampers... sigh... I swipe out the ashes, knock the pipe on my rest, wipe the tamp on my jeans, and...

View attachment 10619

View attachment 10618

Soooo... too fancy for ya? What do you think?
I really like em! How long does it take you to make one?

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr
I really like em! How long does it take you to make one?
Thanks, and the time depends. I can usually get the blank poured into an ingot and hammered out, fabricate some settings, and add the tamp foot and the spade in about 5 hours. I can make them a tad faster if I am making two or three at a time. But, like making pipes, if I was just cranking them out for the money, I'd starve, ha ha.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Thanks, and the time depends. I can usually get the blank poured into an ingot and hammered out, fabricate some settings, and add the tamp foot and the spade in about 5 hours. I can make them a tad faster if I am making two or three at a time. But, like making pipes, if I was just cranking them out for the money, I'd starve, ha ha.
Just out of curiosity, what would you have to get out of one to make it worth your time sir?

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I’ve used a $.99 pipe nail since I started this godforsaken hobby. Then just before Thanksgiving I saw a Rattray’s bamboo tamper that would up my game. I ordered it, I got it, it looks nice.

Then someone on this forum recommended Morgan Bone Pipes. I was curious enough to look them up, and lookee there, Chris Morgan makes tampers, too! So now I’ve upgraded my tamper game twice in just two weeks.

I know, silly, right?

Oh, I sell them. So, I guess my soul and time has a price... and if you'll check my Etsy you'll see the fee for which my spirit moves... mere coins to the piper's tune. But, I am afraid to post a link to my etsy. I don't want to step on the admin's feet. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I asked, but I was just showing off, and I didn't take proper steps to make sure that i don't offend any of the paying sponsors.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Oh, I sell them. So, I guess my soul and time has a price... and if you'll check my Etsy you'll see the fee for which my spirit moves... mere coins to the piper's tune. But, I am afraid to post a link to my etsy. I don't want to step on the admin's feet. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I asked, but I was just showing off, and I didn't take proper steps to make sure that i don't offend any of the paying sponsors.
Why not sell the tampers through said sponsors and create a solution?

iStock_000021379188Small.jpg

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Understood sir, will check it out!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.