PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I am not sure I think the wife picked them up at a large art store. It worked well enough for daily travel but it's not super tight.
Yup, they're not very tight: tobacco will dry out in them if you use them for medium-long term storage. I had a much larger version of such jars and the 1-Q I had in it dried out so thoroughly I had to throw it away. Yeah, even Lane blends will dry out in those. ?

Reactions: SpookedPiper
Maybe we should focus on the "Unique" aspects of the OP. I don't do this, but you could yank the guts out of an old useless Zippo and fill it up with tobacco. 2954

Or, maybe keep your tobacco in an old sock (clean of course) and then put the sock into a Ziploc baggie to slow down the drying process. Then of course the sock could be used to dissuade women admirers who would be frightened off by a big "bulge".

You could of course fill empty Big Mac containers... or, you could fill up old film canisters, emptied Bic pens... or, those little pockets that not much else could fit into on bluejeans...

Reactions: jpmcwjr

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
Maybe we should focus on the "Unique" aspects of the OP. I don't do this, but you could yank the guts out of an old useless Zippo and fill it up with tobacco. View attachment 2954

Or, maybe keep your tobacco in an old sock (clean of course) and then put the sock into a Ziploc baggie to slow down the drying process. Then of course the sock could be used to dissuade women admirers who would be frightened off by a big "bulge".

You could of course fill empty Big Mac containers... or, you could fill up old film canisters, emptied Bic pens... or, those little pockets that not much else could fit into on bluejeans...
Haha you sure do think way outside the box man

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I like those small rectangular tins, like the old OGS tins or Esoterica. They fit in a jacket pocket or even a back pocket nicely. I don't worry about it drying, as I prefer it dry, but the rectangular tins do a good job. And, if I am carrying my pipe bag, I can stack a few of those tins loaded with different blends for a few days.
I found a bunch of old empty tobacco tins. The rectangle ones. Tiny. Tiny. Tiny.

But they were so cool! Wish they still made em like that.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
For sheer convenience out in the field, I use two baggies, but ones with some thickness in the walls. I'll roll the first one up, and then roll the second around it. Goes for weeks if I forget.
Doesn’t have to be a small baggy... this was a freebie at one of the B&Ms I went into and it’s meant for tobacco plus there’s room for a pipe or two and the necessities that go with.
Maybe even room for a second pouch if you want some variety or a pinch of something to spice up your blend!

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
This company called Icetool sells aluminum cans meant for carrying around loose snus. They're pricey for what they are ($30), but I've considered getting one for snus and pipe tobacco. I have a feeling the metal can will help keep things from drying out too much, and they're small enough to fit in a pocket.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
This company called Icetool sells aluminum cans meant for carrying around loose snus. They're pricey for what they are ($30), but I've considered getting one for snus and pipe tobacco. I have a feeling the metal can will help keep things from drying out too much, and they're small enough to fit in a pocket.
Thats cool. Thats a good idea also

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US

thirdguess

Lurker
Sep 29, 2019
Chicagoland
I use an Altoids tin.. holds the perfect amount for my day..
I do very similar thing, I was thinking about using an altoids tin, but then I got worried about the minty flavor getting into my tobacco. I ended up finding an old square erinmore flake tin, and it's perfect. I can just pop a few flakes in for the day, and since a lot of Virginia's need about 10 years to dry anyway lol, it works perfect. Really, the only problem is that there's no seal. That said, if you go with something like FVF it's probably not going to be dry after sitting in the unsealed tin for a couple days, it needs to be dried out a little more than what the tin will naturally do anyway so it works fine. It really only works for the day, but that's fine with me.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Try carrying it in a tightly folded shred of a magazine page or a prescription bottle with someone else's name on it. COCs love seeing those types of things. And I feel your pain, having to walk to the smoke pit to smoke a pipe and get side eyed by the dart smokers is an odd experience.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
The square Sammy Gawith tins are great for stuffing different tobacco into them and carrying in your pocket. I like that they fit in your jeans pocket with ease and if you are afraid of it drying out just throw one of the humi-discs in there and you will be fine. I cut a piece of baking wax paper and use that as a way to keep the moisture in. As far as keeping my "tools" with me, I use a canvas pencil case I bought on a clearance back-to-school deal. It holds my cleaners in a pouch, lighter, matches tamper and a pipe tool as well. I am on the hunt for a slightly bigger one that will hold a straight pipe as well.

There are a million ways to carry your smoking paraphernalia. You just have to think outside of the box and re-purpose non-smoking specific items for your needs.

Reactions: thebigragu

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I use QOOC baby food containers from amazon for my regular rotation blends. They're light enough and durable enough to just grab and travel.

814zJxBG8dL._SL1500_.jpg

I haven't had any issues with tobacco drying out or smell getting through them. I'm much happier than I was using 4oz glass jars.

100% Food-Grade PP Material, BPA, Phthalate, Lead and PVC Free. Microwave safe, freezer safe, and dishwasher safe.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
The square Sammy Gawith tins are great for stuffing different tobacco into them and carrying in your pocket. I like that they fit in your jeans pocket with ease and if you are afraid of it drying out just throw one of the humi-discs in there and you will be fine. I cut a piece of baking wax paper and use that as a way to keep the moisture in. As far as keeping my "tools" with me, I use a canvas pencil case I bought on a clearance back-to-school deal. It holds my cleaners in a pouch, lighter, matches tamper and a pipe tool as well. I am on the hunt for a slightly bigger one that will hold a straight pipe as well.

There are a million ways to carry your smoking paraphernalia. You just have to think outside of the box and re-purpose non-smoking specific items for your needs.
I know that, and that's why I created this thread to see because I have used many different ways, but also like to get new unique ideas

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
I use QOOC baby food containers from amazon for my regular rotation blends. They're light enough and durable enough to just grab and travel.

814zJxBG8dL._SL1500_.jpg

I haven't had any issues with tobacco drying out or smell getting through them. I'm much happier than I was using 4oz glass jars.

100% Food-Grade PP Material, BPA, Phthalate, Lead and PVC Free. Microwave safe, freezer safe, and dishwasher safe.
that's a good idea I will probably use when I get back to the states only because I don't want to buy allot of stuff to bring back

Status
Not open for further replies.