PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
So I have a pipe that was my Christmas gift back in 2014 from my soon to be x wife and it reminds me of her even though I did all the foot work in getting it made. I am contemplating getting rid of it. If you had a pile that reminded you of someone and a crap load of bad memories, would you keep it? It is my Northern Briars group 5 premiere bent bulldog. The one with Cumberland stem.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I probably wouldn't, but looking at it, its a damn nice pipe.
You could always try to make new memories with it... Maybe a nice vacation with someone who is still close to you and bring the pipe along.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Metaphorically clear out the ghosts with salt and booze. Make it YOUR pipe again.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I say keep them as well... eventually you'll begin to forget the bad memories associated with them... especially if you smoke them while trying to make new ones :P

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'd say you have two options, and neither are easy. One is that you should get rid of it, because no matter how beautiful it us, you may never be able to enjoy it again, unfortunately.
The second option, if you'll allow me to get up in your personal space here, would be to keep the pipe and do the deeper emotional work of processing the grief and pain of the divorce. This would of course be a challenging and vulnerable journey, one that would be best aided with the help of a counselor or pastor. Doing so would not really be about the pipe at all, but more about seeking healing in ways we all need anyway. We all have "hazes" around the ways we interpret reality, and we ALL can benefit from professional help in clearing those hazes. It's worth it.
Feel free to DM me if you want to talk more about such things... I'm a hospital chaplain and pastor and my wife is a therapist so I've spent a good amount of time thinking about emotional and spiritual health. :) Blessings to you no matter what you decide.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Change the reminder by giving it new meaning. Let it now be the symbol of having shed excess baggage and the release from the insufferable bondage you knew. It will certainly serve as a reminder of what not to do again, all good things, so keep it,

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I am open to offers , but something I need to think about. With my current living situation and all the heartache and pain over the years, I am just having a hard time smoking it. I got rid of my humidor and all my cigars as it was out wedding g night she got me into smoking cigars. I sold all my pipes when we got together, and now the dunhill and custom Bill Taylor made Ashton are impossible to replace. 5 years of pain in my life and wasted time. I will think deeply on it and decide. I suppose I could always trade it for something else I need or a different pipe or just sell it and use the money to get a different one made.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I am really leaning towards getting rid of it. I took better pics and once uploaded will post them.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Keep it. Right now your going through your divorce and everything seems like horseshit. 5-10 years down the road things will not seem so bad......I assume you had some good times in the relationship that may come to mind more with the passage of time. I married young and got divorced after 13 years. At the time of the divorce she was the devil incarnate; that was 12 years ago and I've since remarried. With the passage of time I look back on that first marriage a little differently. Still wouldn't be married to her but we did have some good times and 2 extraordinary daughters. Put the pipe on the shelf and you'll know when the time is right to smoke it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.